Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
smelly bathroom

Posted by jane__ny (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 0:41

We just bought a house in Florida. Haven't moved in yet as it is being painted. I notice a smell, sort of like a sewer smell, in one of the bathrooms. I have checked all over the bathroom to see if anything was 'left behind' - nothing. It is clean.

It is a faint smell and wonder what could be causing it.

Thanks,
Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: smelly bathroom

If the home has been unoccupied, the trap in either the tub or sink could have dried out. That allows sewer gas to enter the home. Run some water to refill the traps and see if the smell goes away.

o

My guess also. I don't know if you can rely on this as an absolute fix, but it may be all it is. I'd use a decent flashlight and look for water in the traps first (ie look down the sink/tub drain/shower drain and see if you can see water.)

It could also mean a leak in a drain or plumbing vent, but check the traps for water first.

o

I agree, a dry trap is very likely. Less likely, but also possible, is a wax ring needing replacement.

o

In addition it won't hurt to pour a little bit of bleach down the drains. Esp. for the lavatory, they can get cruddy just below the drain where it meets the overflow (but above the trap).

o

Yes. Put water in all the traps.

But, also, is it a urine smell? And, were there little (or big) boys living there previously?

Sometimes little boys miss and when this happens frequently, it can seep down under the toilet/floor covering (what type of floor?) and saturate the floor boards. No easy fix for that (except replacing floor in the area).

o

Thanks for the info. I have run the water in the shower, sink and toilet. The smell is faint and smells like a septic smell. No one is using that bathroom and I know the smell seems to be in the air.

Jane

o

It could be a disconnected vent pipe joint inside the wall. I had that happen. The smell came out an electric plug receptacle. Hard to pin down the source. The joint was not glued during construction and 2-3 years later worked apart.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here