Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Toto Carolina II - Sewer gas smell

Posted by gwentm (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 28, 10 at 0:00

I had a sewer gas smell coming from 2 toilets even after changing the seals so I decided to replace them. In the master I had a new Toto Carolina II installed but there is still a sewer smell that is stronger than the one before. It appears to be coming from the toilet. I had the Supreme II installed in another bathroom. They put a double seal on that one and there is no smell. Anyone familiar with these new toilets have any ideas on what the problem could be? Do these toilets require double seals?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Toto Carolina II - Sewer gas smell

What is involved with a double seal?

o

originalvermonter, Wish I could be of more help but I was not home when it was fixed. The explanation I received (understood??) is what I put in my post. If you need more details, I can check with my contractor.

o

A "double seal" is probably nothing more than using two wax rings rather than one. This is often done when the toilet flange sits far enough below the surface of the floor that a single wax ring might not be thick enough to span the gap and provide a good seal. This has nothing to do with "new toilets"; it has to do with the home construction.

o

" This is often done when the toilet flange sits far enough below the surface of the floor that a single wax ring might not be thick enough to span the gap and provide a good seal. This has nothing to do with "new toilets"; it has to do with the home construction."

It is not actually allowed by the codes either.

It is not that hard to cut off a flange and do it correctly.

o

kudzu9, Yes that sounds like what was done.

If it is not allowed by code (in all places?), I assume there can be problems with this approach. Can you please tell me what they are?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here