Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting cast iron from inside?

Posted by mike99gt (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 22:45

I'm trying to transition from 4" cast iron to ABS using a fernco. The end of the cast pipe is pretty jagged and can't get a good seal with the coupling. How would I go about squaring the end of the cast iron? I've attached a picture to better show the situation. Thanks, Mike

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting cast iron from inside?

The pros always seem to have a nifty answer to this but it might be as simple as breaking up more concrete - most of the time I'm working in brand-new construction and half the time the plumbers are breaking up part of the floor slab!

Seriously, though, I guess there's not enough room for an angle grinder, but I wonder if you could use a Dremel-type tool? I suspect it'd take ages and you want to use adequate face/eye protection as this can be a dangerous procedure.

o

You could get a 4" angle grinder in there and cut from the inside. A worn wheel would fit better. You can also use a cut-off .045 wheel on the same grinder. That would be my choice.

o

HD has a flange assembly that slips into the pipe and is sealed with 3 gaskets on the outside. No idea if it's code, but I used one for an upper floor and it solved the problem. Not sure about using it on the ground floor, though.

o
sorry

I just realized you may not be using it for a toilet. Sorry about that.

o

How big a line are you trying to connect with?

A donut would slip inside the iron pipe and have a hole for the OD of the mating pipe.

o

Ended up going at it with a dremel and cut off wheel(s). I scored a line and broke the chunks out with a hammer. Made a somewhat clean cut but it took a while. Thanks for the suggestions everyone on to the next part of this never ending project :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here