Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Retiree needs help with Rinnai R-85 and water lines

Posted by linda2007 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 22:38

My husband and I are retiring, and we have purchased a 1900 square foot home that has a Rinnai R-85 tankless heater powered by natural gas. We are rehabbing the bathrooms, because after removing the floor and wall tile in both bathrooms we discovered rotten floor joists. The crawl space of the house had sprayed foam insulation, so the rotten floor joists were not discovered until we gutted the bathrooms. We jacked up the walls and replaced the floor joists, and we have temporarily screwed down the subfloor, so we can remove it to work on the water and drain lines. The hall bath will have one lavatory sink with faucet, a small bath tub with tub filler, a fixed shower head, and a hand shower for bathing grandchildren, washing the dog, and rinsing the tub after cleaning. The master bathroom will have two lavatory sinks and two faucets, a shower only with a ceiling mounted 8 inch rain shower head and a hand shower on a slider bar. Should the supply water lines be 3/4 inch as advised in many of the threads? We will appreciate any advice, because we have no experience with a tankless water heater. I hope to hear from all of you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Retiree needs help with Rinnai R-85 and water lines

Congratulations on your new purchase. As for the Rinnai, Rinnai makes a great product and while it can take care of a home with many people and more demand, it's even better for you and your husband because you will only be paying to heat the water you are actually using. Most concerns/complaints anyone have with a Rinnai can generally be tracked back to improper installation, most often being the sizing of the gas line- other than that, maybe once or twice a year we may get a call to 'flush the heat exchanger' (which for us has normally been due to construction locally getting more debris in the lines and getting sucked into the system, also clogging the filter, but I digress). As for the 3/4" lines, judging by the size of your home and the description you have 2, maybe 2-1/2 baths (?), either way, 3/4" coming into the house is perfectly fine. Remember you can only serve 2 fixtures on 1 1/2" line while you're doing your distribution and you'll be fine. =-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here