Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sulfur Smell inside one bath

Posted by rjinga (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 08 at 21:58

This started a week ago...when DH takes a shower, it smells like sulfur. At first I thought it was a new dandruff shampoo he was using (scary but it has a similiar smell).

Is there anything we can try before we shell out the $$$ to have the septic tank pumped?

I called a few places today and it will be $400 for a 1500 gallon tank. (they said we must have a 1500 gallon tank due to having a garbage disposal? I never heard of that before.

Anyway...the house is about 14 years old, and we have lived here 4 years (2 adults) it has not been pumped since we moved here and have no idea when it might have been pumped out before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sulfur Smell inside one bath

Before you go spending money on pumping your septic tank out.... Do you have a tank type water heater?

o

I hate to say that I dont know what type of water heater we have, it's a big round "tank" with pipes running upward from it.

And if this is a "tank" type water heater? what's your next thought/suggestion?

o

Yeah its a tank type. The sulfur smell that you are talking about, does it only happen when you run hot water for a shower?

If the answer is yes then the sacrifical anode riser in your water heater has gone out. There should be a hex nut about a inch or so in diameter on top of the heater.Anode Rod: A sacrificial rod installed in a water heater that protects the tank from corrosion, helping to extend the life of the tank. More than likely this is what is causing the smell.

Is the smell limited to just one bath? Or throughout the house? How close is the heater to that bathroom?

o

It could also be a badly clogged drain, too, giving off that smell but I'd check the anode too.

o

It sounds like the formation of hydrogen sulfide gas. The anode is one item to look at, but usually the reaction is biological. You've probably got thermophilic (heat loving) bacteria reducing sulfate to hydrogen sulfide. Flush tank until spigot is clear and raise the water temp to atleast 140F for at a minimum of 8 hrs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here