Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
toilet mounting to floor

Posted by bronxbill (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 21:39

Trying to mount the toilet - but the floor mount is plastic, coming up from the floor pvc piping underneath the floor. and it is cracked where the screws come up to meet the flange and fasten to the toilet. So the screws coming up to hold down the toilet does not hold and so there is no tightness to hold down the toilet tank. I put the metal flange on top of it but again it is the bottom plastic flange that is cracked. what to do? I hope I explained it properly.
Thanks much
Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: toilet mounting to floor

The plumber's may correct me soon after this response, but basically, you need to cut the flange off, then glue in another one.

Cut horizontally under the flange to get it off, then buy a flange assembly that slides into the remaining pipe and glue it in place. The flange should rest on the finished floor surface when done.

Alternatively, you can buy an inside cutting tool which sort of looks like a drill bit with a blade, then cut it off from the inside of the pipe.

o

Good morning homebound: Thanks for the info - ok I'm going to recheck again & make sure that's the route I have to go. I'm thinking how do you GLUE something that has to hold screws and be able to attached to the bowl, without coming loose. Gotta be some kind of great glue.
Thanks much
Bill

o

PVC primer, then cement to attach the PVC flange to the existing PVC pipe. Then screw the flange to the floor.

Keep in mind that you must orient the flange so that the slots for the toilet bolts are in the right position i.e. the skinnier part of those slots should be on each "side", so that the toilet bolt on each side can grab it.

o

There are flange repair kits.. Don't know if it applies here.

o

Found these videos on Youtube, detailed instructions for your repair.
Just copy and paste each link to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzdQpl01SNY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4gwSBxxLwE

o

Thanks burbs: Just in case I didn't get back to you before - they were GREAT video's I think we might be able to take care of it - (next week hopefully)
Thanks again
Bill

o

bronxbill,

There are several options here, most hardware stores have the metal repair flange. Clean the existing flange of wax, place silicone on the existing flange, then place the new metal repair flange on top and screw through the plastic flange into the wood below. If you have tile you may have to get a ceramic drill bit to drill through that. The closet bolts will slide into the new metal repair flange. This is the easiest option.

Happy flushing!

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here