Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
litlbstard_gw

Water Problems

litlbstard
11 years ago

I have a well in my house and ever since i moved in, have been having major issues with what i think is too much iron. My toilet tanks have bacteria buildup all the time and my white towels, always have a yellowish tint to them. I do have a water softener and use the salt that says it should clean the rust stains (it doesn't.) To battle this, i put in a pantek 20 inch housing with an iron filter right inside my well, but that clearly is not doing much.

Does anyone have any suggestions i could try? Im even willing to spend money on a system, if it works. I had a guy come out to my house and he offered my some system for 5k, which seems a little high to me.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)

• AliceHasLeftTheBuilding
    11 years ago

Water test, water test, water test. Guessing what is in your water does you no good, as you have already experienced. Out guessing will profit you no more than have your own. Contact an independent water lab and ask them how to sample correctly. You need to know:

Calcium
    Magnesium
    Iron
    Manganese
    Bacteria
    Sulfates
    Nitrates
    pH
    TDS
    Is water clear when you initially fill a glass, or does it have color? If it is clear, does it change color if left to sit?

While you are waiting on test results:

1) Size of plumbing to the water softener
    2) Type/brand of current softener
    3) Program/setting of current softener
    4) Results of any test you have conducted
    5) Size of household - # of people, # of bathrooms, any high-water-use fixtures, such as a hot tub or multi-head shower?
    6) What system did the guy recommend? What are his qualifications? What tests, if any, did he perform?

• justalurker
    11 years ago

What brand and model is your softener? More than likely, your softener is iron fouled and may or may not be recoverable IF it is the correct size and configuration for your needs.

A slimy buildup in the toilet tanks is another problem entirely and needs to be addressed.

The filter you added is a waste of money.

When you moved into your house you should have had a comprehensive water test done by a certified independent lab. Then you would have known what problems the water had coming from the well.

You need to have that test done now. Test iron, manganese, PH, TDS, bacteria, nitrates, hardness at a minimum.

With those test results and other info we can determine what would be necessary to treat the water.

• litlbstard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, so here is more info. Hope someone reads this :) Guy came out today.

Hardeness 15
    iron.5
    tds 650

Recommended 48,000 softer $1350 and chlorine injection system for the iron bacteria $2995. He said my softener is working, but not doing a good job on the iron. But, i think if i get the chlorine injection system, it will reduce stains as it is.

One problem is that no one seems to know where the water gets into my house so this would be only hooked up to the hot water. So, not sure if its worth it, if i cant have both hot and cold chlorinated :(

11 years ago

Well, it has to be somewhere. ;>

Look on the side of the house closest to your well. You don't want to treat only the hot water.

How did he determine your softener was working but not for the iron? Did he test your softened water as well?

There are many unanswered questions above. We can help, but since we are not there, we rely on you for information.

• justalurker
    11 years ago

When you moved into your house you should have had a comprehensive water test done by a certified independent lab. Then you would have known what problems the water had coming from the well.

You need to have that test done now. Test iron, manganese, PH, TDS, bacteria, nitrates, hardness at a minimum.

With those test results and other info we can determine what would be necessary to treat the water.

11 years ago

Is that iron 0.5, or 5.0? You have a (.) there and I'm not sure if it intended as a period, a decimal point, or is accidental.

We can't tell you if his recommendation is correct or not until we know # of people, bathrooms, any high-water-use fixtures.

• litlbstard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Its a .5, thats what he wrote. As far as determining if the softener was working, he tested hot water for iron (treated by softener) and cold water for iron (not treated by softener) and both where the same, so that's why he said its not working very well.

I did all the tests mentioned via a test kit and all is within normal limits. I didnt test for ecoli, but all the others are fine. Main issue as i mentioned is the iron bacteria :(

Plumbing, well, i have a pipe from the well going into side of my house and disappears. What comes out in the laundry room is just hot water, so somewhere in the side of my house, behind a wall, is where the water splits and I have no idea where.

11 years ago

With the available information, I can only give you ONE piece of advice (and frankly, any water treatment pro worth his/her salt should tell you the same thing): Treat all of your water. Hire a plumber to find the line and get it done right.

If you want to eliminate your iron bacteria problem, you MUST treat all of your water. Treating only the hot water will be a complete waste of time and money. You will still see the effects of the iron bacteria at every fixture in your home.

If you want to soften your water you SHOULD treat all of your water. Treating only the hot water will be almost, but not quite entirely, a waste of time and money. You will still see the effects of hard water at every fixture in your home, just slightly mitigated on those that use hot as well.

• litlbstard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I appreciate everyone's help and will be hiring a plumber to find the line :) Thanks!