Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sealing unused drain

Posted by kevin1727 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 08 at 20:20

Due to relocating the shower and tub in my bathroom remodel, there is now an unused shower drain under the center of my jacuzzi tub. This is a concrete slab floor with PVC pipe drains.
What is the best way to seal off that drain? The plumber said to just fill it with sand. He said the trap will prevent the sand from moving down the line.
I am thinking something more air and water tight just in case of sewer gas or water backup.
Should he find a PVC plug and glue in or is it okay to dump concrete into the drain? I think the plumber wants to use sand because the plug may stick up and interfere with the mortar bed under the tub.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sealing unused drain

They sell expandable rubber plugs. Old timers will call them "dollar plugs" sometimes today called "test plugs"

Concrete is OK as long as you dont plan on using the drain ever again and that you dont use to much and plug line further down. Ball up some newspaper first.

o
RE: sealing unused drain

They make floor flush cleanout plugs as well. I cant recall the name of them. But they have an allen head screw in the top that swells the rubber on the bottom side that you install in the drain for an air tight seal... Sand down the line is a bad idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here