Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Point of Use Faucet - Can 'Hot' Faucet be used 'Cold'

Posted by gordonr (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 20:17

We have a dual chamber 10" slimline under-sink filtration system (non-RO) which needs a new point of use faucet. The faucet which would work best for us is a Franke LB1100. The faucet is listed by Franke as a "hot water only" unit. When I asked Franke, they said the water connection is a standard 1/4" push fitting.

Of course Franke would like to sell you their instant hot water heater, but other than that, why couldn't you use this for a cold water non-RO filtered supply? I'd guess there might be some issue with RO treated water due to its aggressive nature. Also, since it's not RO, the lack of an air gap shouldn't be an issue.

I'd like to make this work as a similar faucet in a "cold" version isn't available. Any advice on why a manufacturer would list such a faucet as "hot only" and whether it should work in our situation would be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Franke website listing of the faucet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Point of Use Faucet - Can 'Hot' Faucet be used 'Cold'

I don't think it's meant to imply that it cannot be used with cold water instead. "Hot water only" just means there's one supply, which happens to be from the hot water heating tank it's paired with.

o

Call Franke and ask.

It does seem strange that Franke doesn't have little dispenser taps for filtered tap water. I think they used to sell a water filter (or they still do), so they must have taps for this.

I agree that a tap labeled as "hot water only" can pass lower temperature water too. My guess is that the marketing people are out of control.

I'm eager to know what the differences are between all the Franke models that look the same.
3100 4100 1030 and 1100

Here are some that have two handles (you get either hot or cold, from the same spout).
LB22
LB32
LB42

--

Are you aware of the advantages of IHW?

o

Spoke with Franke tech support. It should work fine with cold water. Part of what makes it designated a hot faucets is that the fill lever is spring loaded so it shuts off when you release it. Franke point of use cold faucets have standard valves.

There are also regulations for cold point of use faucets sold into California in Vermont requiring no leads designs. They thought those regulations may be going nationwide in a couple of years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here