Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting the faucet off?

Posted by piasano (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 19:53

I am trying to repair a leaky faucet. I turned the water off and took out the screw that holds the handle in place, but I can't get the handle off. The YouTube site I visited said you might have to pry it off with a screwdriver. That doesn't seem to be working. How can I get the faucet off? The faucet is probably twenty years old.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting the faucet off?

Getting old faucett handles off can sometimes present a real challenge. The problem is that not only are they stuck on super tight, most of them are either plated thin brass or plastic and can be seriously damaged beyond use very easy.

Fortunately there is a simple and inexpensive solution.

Go to any hardware store or big box home supply in the plumbing section and you can find a "Faucett Handle Puller".

It has a straight shaft about 6 to 8" long with a Tee handle and diameter of the bottom end of the shaft is reduced to fit in the screw hole on the top of the faucett handle.

There is a cross bar on the handle with two adjustable arms that have an L shape at the bottom end.

To use the puller you begin by removing the little trim cam and the screw on the top of the faucett handle.

Put the point of the puller in the hole in the faucett hanbdle and unscrew the shaft until the two lift arms are at the base of the faucett handle. Slip the L part of the lift arms under the edges of the faucett handle, then gentle screw the puller up again and it will lift the handle right off with no effort.

The pullers usually start out at about $7 for a cheap one and you can go up to $50 or $75 if you want to top line slide hammer professional model, but for no more than what a homeowner would use it, the cheap ones will do fine and last the life of your house.

o

When I'm desperate and don't have a faucet puller handy, I tap on the handle sharply several times with the handle-side of a screwdriver. Sometimes it works quite well.

(...ok, I didn't just admit to that, did I?)

o

Hi , Another great way to cheat. Put the screw back in the handle then back the screw out about one turn. Then grab the handle and pull on it and tap the screw with a hammer At the same time. Keep backing the screw off until the handle comes off.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

o

I will try these suggestions, and post back with results.

Thanks so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here