Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
follow up to flooded

Posted by linjn (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 19:41

I can see the threads at the bottom of the water supply line and nothing looks broken.I can se the pipe it needs to screw into and that looks okay too. But turning it to the right does not seem to get it started reconnecting. any advice for reconnecting this line?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: follow up to flooded

"....any advice for reconnecting this line?"

Yes...and for the entire project. Hire this done. You clearly don't have the skill for this job and you've seen the consequences when something isn't right and it leaks. Suggest abandoning the guesswork you're currently engaged in. We're not there; we can't see what you're doing; and I, for one, find understanding your written descriptions difficult.

o
RE: follow up to flooded

If you're trying to reuse the old ferrule and captive nut, there's only a slim chance that the threads aren't the same, but maybe the old nut is clogged with lime from a very slow leak. If you could soak it in vinegar or lime-away you could clean it off. But you can't because the nut is captive to the ferrule. So, if there was any leeway I'd cut off just below the old ferrule and clean the supply line and use the new ferrule and nut that came with the new valve. You'll probably need a new very small tubing cutter assuming you don't already have one. The new shutoff will then go on very easily.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here