Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkhall

"plugging" an old laundry drain pipe (no threads)

kirkhall
10 years ago

We recently did a remodel and moved our laundry from downstairs to upstairs. Now I have a complete hookup downstairs that isn't being used. At some point in the future, I or someone else, might want to use it again for a second laundry (so I don't want a permanent solution). But, for now and a long time, I want to plug the laundry drain line opening to the room to avoid gases, etc... I assume, at some point, the trap will dry out.

The construction of this drain line is such that there must be a T behind the wall, with one arm of the T coming through the wall and the other 2 arms heading down the drain line and up the vent (through the roof). So, my drain line opening is even with the wall. AND, it is not a threaded opening.

I've read online for flood prep (ND extension or something) that you can get rubber plugs that squish and "seal" when a wing nut tightens 2 metal plates on either side of a rubber disc. Is this what I should use? Is this a good "long term solution"? is there a better option? I don't think I want to do an inflatable since that would probably also block the vent line up and out, and I'd rather the gases have easy access to "out".

Or, maybe the proper thing to do is just remember to pour water down the line every month or so?

Comments (8)