Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flooded house loosening jam nut at bottom of tank

Posted by linjn (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 19:00

I was trying to change a flush valve and had the water supply shut off valve closed. After loosening the jam nut just below the tank I heard the water pressure surge and water came up near the floor the floor at the base of the water supply. Just turning the jam nut back in the opposite direction did not help at all. turning the supply line in either direction did not work, though I could try more now the water is turned off at the main and the spills are cleaned up sorta. i assume the supply line has come loose from a joint at the level of the floor. I would hate to see the bill on getting the toilet and sub floor ripped up to get at it. I'm out of work on disability and earning about half my income. Just found out Ineed to replace my porch roof for 1000. Any help you can give I would appreciate. I guess now that the water is shut off I'll see if I can get any more info. I have removed toilet in the past to replace seal so I have just a little experience. Had about an inch and a half of water in the second floor bathrom and alot of big puddles in the kitchen below. Water coming down around the kitchen light. UGH.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flooded house loosening jam nut at bottom of tank

took toilet off and removed water supply and it is broken. just the last thread or two on one side.I'm going to lowes.

o

okay,lowes gave me all the replacement parts and some sympathy. I am trying to get the broken off threads out of the compression fitting. It seems like I could get the compression fitting off but, I'm afraid to break that. The top of the fitting is level with the floor but the pipe pulls up easily. Not sure if it would be to hard to get another compession fitting on if it is below the floor. Not sure which way the compression fittings turn to come off anyway and it is tight in both directions.
They also gave a something back that looks like a large drill bit that is designed to force out stuff when turned counter clockwise I've tried that some but again I am afraid to break the fitting. i guess fittings are pretty tick and can take some twisting without breaking. Gosh I'm tired. Anybody out there.

o

Shut off the main, remove the water supply shut off valve and replace with new. New supply line to toilet.

Fittings are right to tighten and left to loosen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here