Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Well water testing recommendations

Posted by zver11 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 18:25

I need to redo my water treatment and need to test the water first. The test kit at Home Cheapo is a sick joke. I test pool water regularly and have used test vials/tabs for other tests in the past. Does anyone here have any recommended source of reasonably accurate test kits for well water? Since I had the water thoroughly tested (after treatment system) on purchase of house, and know area geology, I am comfortable I only need to redo hardness, iron, PH and alkalinity and probably sulfates/sulfites. There is radon in the water, but that does not change since not treated before last test. House has CPVC lines so copper/lead not issues. Hydrocarbons and other trace metals below measurement thresholds so should not be a factor.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Well water testing recommendations

All municipal water suppliers are required to test their water numerous times per day, so in order to do so they all have their own labs.

In most communities that have municipal water they also work with the local health dept to provide water testing for private wells.

Contact either the local health dept or the closest municipal water supplier directly and they will tell whether the provide the service and what their procedures and fees are.

In my community they will have you come to the lab and pick up a sterilized sample bottle. You take the bottle home and fill it with your water, then return the bottle and we pay a fee of $25. The will run the sample and mail you the results, which usually takes 4 or 5 days.

I prefer to have the water tested in this manner because I know they will do a full comprehensive test, and they won't feed me a bunch of BS trying to get me to buy unneccessary equipment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here