Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Softener Drain

Posted by thewireman (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 22, 09 at 18:09

I need some help here. I want to install a water softener but the closest place to drain it is 50 feet away and I'll have to pipe up and over the garage to get to it. Will I need to install some type of air gap? How could I best accomplish this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Softener Drain

How high (what elevation) does it have to go? Rule of thumb we use is that every twenty feet, increase diameter by 1/4" as flow restriction will cause back pressure. Don't elevate more than 8-10 feet and then angle down as pipe diameter increases, nonetheless.

I would still use an air gap if possible.

What valve you you using?

o

An air gap on a softener drain is most likely required by local plumbing code and a really good idea if you value your health and even if you don't.

You can find some spiffy air gaps at www.airgap.com

o

Thanks for the responses. I only need to take the drain up about 5 feet, to get above a door, go around on the wall, and 90 down to a laundry sink. According to the manufacturers literature, the 1/2" drain line needs to be increased to 5/8" if it goes up at all and to 3/4" if it's over 25 ft. in length. Would it be legit to just dump the end into the existing sink? Since it's in the garage, I really don't care too much about the appearance or is there some other issue here that I'm not aware of?

o

Would it be legit to just dump the end into the existing sink?

Above the sink, not in it. You need an airgap between the end of the drain and the highest possible water level.

o

Thanks hendricus. Gotcha! I'll stop the pipe above the sink.

o

my softener discharge does plug up my septic. Is it ok to just drain outside?

o

Steve,

Always best to start a new thread for a new question so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Start a new thread and your question will get the attention you're looking for...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here