Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

old gas meter / smart meter - questions

sooz
10 years ago

Our local energy company installed "smart meters" on our gas meter (they changed out a component rather than replaced the blockish meter itself) and electric meter (whatever they are called), and now they want to change out my (original, 55 yrs old) gas meter.

The meter is not corroded or leaking, and while I can say no at this point to the replacement, I was warned by one of the gas people to expect a bunch of phone calls trying to get me to change out the meter.

When I go to the utility company website, I get a bunch of bureaucratic nonsense that doesn't tell me much except that I *want* to do this. Well, I don't *want* to do it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without--okay, well, I won't do without it because we need the gas for cooking and for our water heater, but if it still works and it's not a safety issue, why should I change it out? Does anyone have any good rationale for me to use other than "Because I don't WANT to!" or "Because it isn't broken!" ??

Also, since the smart meter for the gas and electricity has that low emitter stuff, eliminating the need for meter readers, and since one bedroom is on the other side of the wall from those emitting meters, what's the best way to protect the sleeping child & dog from what's being emitted?

Thanks!
Sooz

Comments (8)