Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
APEC Water R/O Systems

Posted by rickaz (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 17, 06 at 16:24

I am looking for the best reverse osmosis system to put under my kitchen sink for drinking and cooking water. I have looked at a lot of websites, but am not sure which one to purchase. Can anyone recommend a good system? The APEC system looks good, but so does the Watts Premier at Costco.

Thanks
Rickaz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: APEC Water R/O Systems

This Watts Premier sold at Sam's Club is a good deal. It uses standard sized filters and membrane. Sells for less than $200 ...

click here for the Sam's Club Watts RO

This one that Costco sells with the one-piece manifold uses slightly different sized membranes ...

click here for the Costco Watts RO

Watts Premier has been around for a long time, their 800 number rings in Arizona (not India) and they stand behind their products.

Have you had your water tested? Are you using a water softener?

o

I put a Watts system under my sink a few months ago. We're quite satisfied with it. Installation was straightforward EXCEPT...you need to have a sink with an available opening to mount the R/O treated water dispensing valve, or be prepared to use a hole saw to drill one.

Drilling a hole in my OLD cast iron sink was impossible without buying a tool that would have cost as much as a new sink.....so we got a new sink and faucet. [It was time to replace them anyway.] The R/O valve is mounted in the hole intended for the soap dispenser.

o

Looks like the one from Costco is better based on the comparison. Opinions?

o

Both Wattspremier ROs are equal quality, equal reliability, and about the same performance.

The difference, as stated earlier in this thread, is that the RO at Costco ( click here for WP-5 RO ) uses a non standard membrane and restrictor so membrane availablility is more limited than the RO sold at Sam's Club ( clcik here for TFM-5SV RO ) which uses a standard membrane available most anywhere.

I'd rather have the TFM-5SV, easier to get membranes for and not a proprietary design.

o
Messed up my links...

o
newsflash...

Product update...

Was just a my local Costco and they are now offering the Watts Premier WP4V RO click here for WP4V specs

This RO uses a VOC post (polish filter) that (only seems to be) available from Watts Premier.

I'd opt for the standard design TFM-5SV but that's just my opinion.

o

We're in the middle of a full kitchen remodel, will be using 3cm Silestone. I just called Watts to ask if we can use their RO system. They said the Costco RO will be an easy install (using Silestone/granite), is a better system, and super easy to change filters. Oh, and it's cheaper!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here