Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leak anywhere from Meter to Faucet

Posted by xrayvision (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 7, 10 at 15:40

We are purchasing a bank owned condo/townhouse. The down side is there a leak anywhere from the meter to a faucet in the house. It ranges from 1/4 to 3/4 gallon per minute based on meter readings. The meter is 3 units away.

They said the leak was probably anywhere from the meter to the internal shut off valve. But have not specifically found the location of the leak.

On Home inspection it was noted that a shower faucet was continuously leaking, but the internal shut off valve was closed so water may not have been getting there to cause the leak. I have been told that the shut off valves can fail. Also an external water faucet for a hose in front of the garage leaks into the garage when turned on, supposedly this is connected to the line before by the internal shut off valve. Could these be the source of the leak.

Bid obtained by bank to replace the entire line from meter to house 32k (which was reflected in the price of the house). Bid from my realtor's contractor just to patch in directly from main line to house and put in new meter 12k. I have been told both are over priced. The city only covers up to the meter. The HOA does not cover the water leak.

Any advice on the best way to determine the leak location? Any thoughts on general bid prices to repair?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leak anywhere from Meter to Faucet

I will point out one thing: you may be required by the local utilities to pay any outstanding utility bills before you can take possession. You should see if this is the case in your area, especially given the ongoing leak. A friend of mine recently bought a fixer upper and found out afterwards that she had to pay $7000 in unpaid utility bills before she could get title.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here