Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xrayvision_gw

Leak anywhere from Meter to Faucet

xrayvision
13 years ago

We are purchasing a bank owned condo/townhouse. The down side is there a leak anywhere from the meter to a faucet in the house. It ranges from 1/4 to 3/4 gallon per minute based on meter readings. The meter is 3 units away.

They said the leak was probably anywhere from the meter to the internal shut off valve. But have not specifically found the location of the leak.

On Home inspection it was noted that a shower faucet was continuously leaking, but the internal shut off valve was closed so water may not have been getting there to cause the leak. I have been told that the shut off valves can fail. Also an external water faucet for a hose in front of the garage leaks into the garage when turned on, supposedly this is connected to the line before by the internal shut off valve. Could these be the source of the leak.

Bid obtained by bank to replace the entire line from meter to house 32k (which was reflected in the price of the house). Bid from my realtor's contractor just to patch in directly from main line to house and put in new meter 12k. I have been told both are over priced. The city only covers up to the meter. The HOA does not cover the water leak.

Any advice on the best way to determine the leak location? Any thoughts on general bid prices to repair?

Thanks

Comment (1)