Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huango

Need help on how to replace/update kitchen sink plumbing?

huango
15 years ago

Hello,

I need help on how to DIY replace (update) all the stuff under kitchen sink plumbing.

If I wait any longer for my DH to do it, the kids will be in college (theyÂre 4 and 2 right now).

I appreciate all and any help as to how to do the following:

- the current plumbing looks like PVC, but they look old (but not leaking yet)

- I need to replace the faucet, from a 2 handle one (with 3 holes) to a single handle one (with 1 hole)

- Put in a water filter, and replace the current faucet spray with the water filter dispenser

- Put in a soap dispenser into one of the current faucet holes

- Put in an InSinkerator Instant Hot faucet tank and dispenser into the other current faucet holes

- AND install a Tapmaster (where you turn on/off the water by pressing on a foot pedal)

I am very left-brain and know that I can do it; I just need guidance.

Besides turning off the water, removing the p-drain under the sink and taking it to ?Lowes or someplace to get identical plumbing, what else?

I spent all of the money on the faucet, water filter/dispenser, Instant Hot, and Tapmaster, so thereÂs nothing left in the budget to hire a plumber.

But in case I did, what is your best guess on the cost/number of hours it would require a plumber to do this in the NorthEast/MA area?

I really appreciate your help.

Amanda

Comments (4)

• User
    15 years ago

Do you own a basin wrench?

Do you have individual shut off valves to the hot and cold water under the sink? Do they just have the one outlet? Or do you have a DW coming off the hot and a ice line for the fridge coming off of the cold?

What type of supply lines do you have? Copper? CPVC? Pex?

Are you keeping the same sink?

Have you had a dedicated electrical circuit run for the InstaHot? (that means it's on it's own wiring all the way back to the breaker box)

If you're replacing the sink, and it's a drop in, it's a LOT easier to mount all of the stuff into the sink holes and then drop the sink in and secure it than it is to bust your knuckles working with a basin wrench behing the sink. PVC waste piping rarely needs to be replaced. It doesn't get old and brittle like galvanized does. Most likely, you can reuse the drain piping just fine, or just leave it alone if you're not replacing the sink or disposal. IF you're replacing the sink with a deeper model or replacing the disposal with a taller model, it's possible that you may need to open up your wall and redo your waste line going in to the wall so that it has the proper fall with which to drain.

Answer these questions, and you can be a little further along with your project.

• huango
    Original Author
    15 years ago

live_wire_oak: thank you so much for your response.

A few pictures:

What is all the white stuff? What does this valve control? The dishwasher (DW) is to the Left of the sink, so is that the hot water line to the DW?

Doesn't the drain to the sink looks like it's corroding on the bottom? And doesn't all the connection on the PVC look dirty/about to fail?

Do you own a basin wrench?
    - Yes, I can borrow one.
    Do you have individual shut off valves to the hot and cold water under the sink?
    Yes, 2 shut-off valves.

Do they just have the one outlet? Or do you have a DW coming off the hot and a ice line for the fridge coming off of the cold?
    - Yes, a DW coming off the hot line, but NO ice line for the fridge off the cold line YET.
    - (for the future  about 5years from now, when we hook up the all-freezer, weÂd like the ice line coming from the water filter line:
    1. is that possible?
    2. should we set it up now, knowing that when I hook up the freezer/ice line, itÂll be w/ a whole new sink in a different location?
    What type of supply lines do you have? Copper? CPVC? Pex?
    - The immediate supply lines are ?flexible (see pictures).
    Are you keeping the same sink?
    - Yes, itÂs an integrated Corian sink to the countertop. WeÂre keeping it for ~5 years. Then IÂll have to do this all over again when we put in new stainless steel sink and seamless stainless steel countertop/backsplash.

Have you had a dedicated electrical circuit run for the InstaHot? (that means it's on it's own wiring all the way back to the breaker box)
    - No, I donÂt. Is that required for code?
    - Any thoughts/possibility to connecting it to the DW electrical line? My DW has its own switch (like a light-switch) that controls the power to turn it on/off (childproof reason).

PVC waste piping rarely needs to be replaced. It doesn't get old and brittle like galvanized does. Most likely, you can reuse the drain piping just fine, or just leave it alone if you're not replacing the sink or disposal.
    - See picture: looks really old, threatening to leak.
    - No disposal (septic system).

I appreciate any and all help.
    Thank you so much.
    Amanda

• hendricus
    15 years ago

The PVC looks great under there, no rust, rot or corrosion. May be just a litle dirty but no great deal. On the Insta-Hot you should have literature specifying what it needs in the way of hookup on the water and electrical. At the least it should say how much power it draws.

• pjb999
    15 years ago

MY concern would be the extensive corrosion on the copper, especially on that lower cutoff valve, you'll want to replace that with a decent ball valve, they don't leak like the regular ones do. I think the staining on the pvc is probably from the sink, if you're keeping it, you'll want to redo the seals on the drain.