Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
$1,000 valve - you've got to be kidding? help...

Posted by mamadadapaige (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 2, 11 at 15:19

We had an outdoor shower put in a couple of years ago - it turns out the person who did this wasn't the most qualified. We live in the Northeast - cold winters! We shut the water off at the end of the season but didn't realize we were suppose to remove the whole shower system from the outside since it really wasn't meant to be outside in the first place.

Long story short, it is broken. We are selling the house and I feel from a "good karma" perspective that we should get this up and running for the new owners (whose inspector did not catch the broken shower situation but nonetheless I feel it is important to fix it).

The plumbing showroom locally is quoting me $1,014 just for the valve! which is apparently the only non-functioning part. They say it is just the "guts" that is broken, not the trim or showerhead, etc. How can the "guts" cost this much.

They are checking to see if a generic part can be used in place of the cifial part but she thinks not.

Below is a link to what we have and here is a list of the items in the Cifial Exposed Thermostatic Shower Kit.

Does this make sense? does anyone have any knowledge to help me get this done for less money? I just am floored at what I thought would be a simple fix costing so much.

Exposed Thermostatic Shower Kit w/8" Showerhead

Exposed Thermostatic Shower Kit w/8" Showerhead
Brunswick Series
With Handshower
1/2" Hi-Flow Thermostatic Valve - 12 gpm @ 60 psi
Brass lever volume handle
Brass cross temperature handle
42" riser, 8" diameter showerhead - projects 17" from wall

Here is a link that might be useful: Cifial Shower kit

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: $1,000 valve - you've got to be kidding? help...

I'd replace the faucet unit with one that was designed for outdoor showers, pool houses, etc, (Chicago Faucets make a good one) that doesn't have the Thermostatic Balance feature. Overtemp Safety devices that screw on at the shower head are made to prevent scalding water accidents.
Also, install low-point drains in the supply lines so the water can be drained in cold months.

o

randy, this is such welcome advice. thank you so much. does this look like a good one? (link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: chicago outdoor faucet

o

I wouldn't even bother with one intended for outdoor use. Use a plain shower setup that you buy at a big box and install an interior shutoff with a bleeder valve, and an exterior bleeder valve, and rhen use compressed air to blow the line free of water when the season's change and make sure that the new owners are aware of how to care for it.

o

They are good. I've installed several of them.
Chicago also makes a less expensive model with the valve body being a rough casting, instead of smooth and polished.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here