Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumbing for 2 shower heads

Posted by captncars (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 14:31

We are building a house and added a rain shower head in the master bath. Per my request, In our contract it states it will be a delta thermostatic valve with a 3/6 diverter. I thought it would be easier to control the water temp with one valve and then use the diverter to decide witch showers to run.

Our plumber was there yesterday and plumbed two thermo valves (one for each shower) they said they would change it but I was just wondering if there is pros to having it this way? Seems like a lot of extra work to run water lines to each valve when all he had to do is put a diverter valve above

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumbing for 2 shower heads

And should you want to use both heads simultaneously, you fall victim of the 2.5GPM flow restriction built into the valve, and the two valve set-up will afford sufficient volume, from each.

o

I just talked to the builder and he said the plumber did it that way because the pressure will be half if you use both shower heads with the diverter. Is that true?
Looking at pictures on houzz and on here I see almost all double shower heads run with one valve and a diverter.

o

What do you think meant when I said?

"And should you want to use both heads simultaneously, you fall victim of the 2.5GPM flow restriction built into the valve, and the two valve set-up will afford sufficient volume, from each."

o

It makes sense to me... I was just wondering why people plumb it with diverters if there is such a great difference in the pressure?

o

There is only a reduction in the pressure when both heads are operating, at the same time, from a single valve.

You could have 10M lbs. of pressure on the supply side of the valve.

The valve restricts the flow to a max. of 2.5gpm, divide that volume in half, and thats all you get using a single valve.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here