Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Main Shut off not Working

Posted by geller (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 14:13

Our basement slop sink needs replacement washers, but has no shutoff. So I went to shut off the house water supply, but the water does not stop even when I fully tightened the valve. Any suggestions from here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Main Shut off not Working

Is your supply from a private well or some company or the city?

o

It is the inside shutoff of the municipal water supply. There is a water meter box on our front lawn that is between the main and the house.

o

There's probably a 1/4 turn valve in or near the water meter box. I'd turn off the water there and then replace the inside shut-off with a 1/4 turn fully ported ball valve.

o

A word of caution...

If there is a water shutoff in the meter box or on the meter assembly it may belong to the city. If you break it be ready to bend over for what they will charge to repair it.

Regardless, during the impending repair replace the failed valve with a 1/4 turn ball valve and add another valve inside the house where the water service enters.

o

The failed valve is the one inside the house where the water service enters. I am convinced that the best bet is to have a professional plumber replace it. They will have insurance if they screw up the valve at the water meter.

o

I know of one city where it is a misdemeanor for anyone except a city employee to open or close the valve at the water meter.

o

You also need to realize that even after closing the main valve there is a lot of water remaining in the lines, and it will drain out from the lowest valve.

Open the highest valve and lowest valve and wait for the line to empty.

o

Contact the municipal water supplier and they will dispatch someone to come turn the service off at the curb stop, then when you have completed the repair you contact them and they will turn it on again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here