Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
p4badsha

Water Softener - Help with Proper System Selection

p4badsha
9 years ago

Hello,

I decided to put in a water softener system for my home. I am putting it outside, next to my water heater. I have done some research and have spoken to a few water treatment companies. I am looking at a 35000 grain, 10 gallons per minute system. A few tried to up sell me on a 53000 grain and 15 GPM unit, telling it would be more efficient due to less regenerations and there would be less strain on the system. Not sure how true this is.

On a 35000 grain, Max Flow 10GPM, 1.00 Cu/Ft. Resin, Brine Tank 15" diameter x 35" H, Resin Tank 9" diameter x 48" H and regenration would be every 6-7 days depending on usage. The water softener has not been purchased yet. Thank you.

Stats:

Water pressure: 70psi (tested from spigot front of the house)

2 adults and 1 child in the home

1.5 baths: 1 Shower, 1 Handheld body sprayer, 1 Tub, 2 Toilets, 2 Faucets.

Kitchen - Dishwasher, Faucet, Refrigerator water dispenser/ice maker

Laundry - Washer

1. Do I need shut off valves for the mainline if the main fresh water line is being re-piped to the water softener? This is in case the softener fails.

The main fresh water line is in the front of the house and water heater is on the side of the home.

2. Can I tap into the washer drain for the water softener for regeneration? Do I need to worry about bacterial growth or anything? Not sure how much water is expunged during regeneration.

3. Will I need a RO system? If so, how will that work if I have a line for my refrigerator water dispenser and ice maker?

4. What do you guys think about Carbon filters for Chloramines?

City Water
Grains of hardness - 17 grains per gallon (gpg)
pH - 6.5
Iron - no detectable levels
Chlorine - no detectable levels

My water company's 2013 water quality report:

Water Source for my area in Southern California

Water delivered to customers in the Southwest System is a blend of groundwater pumped from the West and Central Coast Groundwater Basins and imported water from the Colorado River Aqueduct and the State Water Project (imported and distributed by Metropolitan Water District of Southern California).

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by badsha on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 14:28

Comments (9)