Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Softener - Help with Proper System Selection

Posted by badsha (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 14:10

Hello,

I decided to put in a water softener system for my home. I am putting it outside, next to my water heater. I have done some research and have spoken to a few water treatment companies. I am looking at a 35000 grain, 10 gallons per minute system. A few tried to up sell me on a 53000 grain and 15 GPM unit, telling it would be more efficient due to less regenerations and there would be less strain on the system. Not sure how true this is.

On a 35000 grain, Max Flow 10GPM, 1.00 Cu/Ft. Resin, Brine Tank 15" diameter x 35" H, Resin Tank 9" diameter x 48" H and regenration would be every 6-7 days depending on usage. The water softener has not been purchased yet. Thank you.

Stats:

Water pressure: 70psi (tested from spigot front of the house)

2 adults and 1 child in the home

1.5 baths: 1 Shower, 1 Handheld body sprayer, 1 Tub, 2 Toilets, 2 Faucets.

Kitchen - Dishwasher, Faucet, Refrigerator water dispenser/ice maker

Laundry - Washer

1. Do I need shut off valves for the mainline if the main fresh water line is being re-piped to the water softener? This is in case the softener fails.

The main fresh water line is in the front of the house and water heater is on the side of the home.

2. Can I tap into the washer drain for the water softener for regeneration? Do I need to worry about bacterial growth or anything? Not sure how much water is expunged during regeneration.

3. Will I need a RO system? If so, how will that work if I have a line for my refrigerator water dispenser and ice maker?

4. What do you guys think about Carbon filters for Chloramines?

City Water
Grains of hardness - 17 grains per gallon (gpg)
pH - 6.5
Iron - no detectable levels
Chlorine - no detectable levels

My water company's 2013 water quality report:

Water Source for my area in Southern California

Water delivered to customers in the Southwest System is a blend of groundwater pumped from the West and Central Coast Groundwater Basins and imported water from the Colorado River Aqueduct and the State Water Project (imported and distributed by Metropolitan Water District of Southern California).

Here is a link that might be useful: GSW_Report_Page1

This post was edited by badsha on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 14:28

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Softener - Help with Proper System Selection

RO system is separate from the softener, people usually install those inside the property. You can run the line as many as you want, in my case I install one under the kitchen sink. About to run a line (using a conduit off course) under the house to my fridge. Most included carbon filter on RO unit don't remove chloramines, you need different carbon to do that.

I have the same question on Chloramines, this is a major concern for me as well but it's a dilemma...take a look at this

http://www.apswater.com/article.asp?id=293&title=Advice+About+Whole+House+Carbon+Filters+And+Removing+Chlorine

It kind of make sense, if I go with one of this filter...I will plumb it just for my showers.

o

I didn't see the TDS level but the rest of the test looks rather good.

o

cleverchimp I never thought about the bacterial growth. Now I am even more confused. I was worried about Chloramines pitting the copper piping.

I have a rainshower, not sure if they make Carbon Filters for that or handheld showers.

jcalhoun, you're correct I wasnt able to get the TDS level.

My main concern is sizing the system. Should I go with 1.50 Cu/Ft Resin, 15GPM Flow, 53000 grain system. Will that be inefficient?

o

I also found this below. My water company uses Chloramines to disinfect the water. Since the water is treated frequently I am assuming, is there a need to worry about bacterial growth if you do the proper maintenance?

Activated carbon filter (A carbon filter ��" also called a taste and odor filter ��" is an ideal medium for bacteria growth and should be used only on water supplies that are continuously disinfected or known to be free of bacteria.

Water source for my area in Southern California:

Water delivered to customers in the Southwest System is a blend of groundwater pumped from the West and Central Coast Groundwater Basins and imported water from the Colorado River Aqueduct and the State Water Project (imported and distributed by Metropolitan Water District of Southern California).

o

For softener, Alice is the master here. He know everything in and out about that.

I'm about to put one of this :

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/products/green-carbon-water-conditioners/green-carbon-10.htm

before my softener, but after reading the article about the bacteria...I'm rethinking it. My main concern is the chloramines (the byproduct is causing cancer) absorbed by the skin when taking shower, the copper pipe issue is second.

what do you mean by proper maintenance?If you put one of this, the water running through the house have no disinfectant, maybe its better to ask the manufacture and see what they have to say on that issue. Another thing about this whole house filter is you need to change the catalytic carbon every 6-8 years.

I wish there a movement to stop municipal to use chloramines and stick with chlorine instead. It is a lot easier to remove at POU (Point of Use).

o

I would like Alice to chime in here. I was just looking at the carbon filter.

Proper maintenance meaning changing out the carbon every 5 years or so, checking on the unit. I didnt specifically ask the manufacturer about the carbon filter and bacteria build up.

You are correct on changing the catalytic carbon every 6-8 years. The cost is $125 or so for the coconut shell activated carbon. Not sure how easy/hard it is to change out the carbon.

o

I was looking at 2 different systems. One is a Clack system by APEC and other is a proprietary valve by US Water Systems.

Fusion NLT Hybrid Professional-Grade Metered Water Softener : Chlorine & Chloramine Removal

10 GPM - 35,000 Grains Capacity - 1.00 cu/ft - $1795

15 GPM - 53,000 Grains Capacity - 1.50 cu/ft - $1995

http://www.uswatersystems.com/systems/water-softener-system/hybrid-water-softeners/fusion-nlt-hybrid-metered-water-softener.html

OR

APEC

45000 Grain, 14GPM Water Softener - $1049

+

WTS-MAX-10 - $799 (Whole House Carbon Filter)

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/products/green-carbon-water-conditioners/green-carbon-10.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here