Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sloan valve WC - do i need to replace?

Posted by detcastle (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 27, 10 at 13:55

My DH and I have just purchased a 1929 home and as part of our immediate renos have gutted the kitchen. As part of that we need to move some of the pipes that lead up to 2nd and 3rd floor bathrooms. The plumber (who comes highly recommended) says that he has to replace out the old pipes (which are larger diameter than ones used today) which means we have to replace the two sloan valve toilets. Is that a lot of hooey? I am actually willing to do it for eco purposes as I know that these are high water usage, but would like to feel confident about the real reasoning. He's already proposed some other 'fixes' that don't seem necessary so I'm a little concerned. Thanks for any advice you might have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sloan valve WC - do i need to replace?

If your Sloan Valves are true Flushometer valves your Plumber is absolutely correct.

W.C. flushometer valves require a 1" supply and urinal flushometer valves require a 3/4" supply with a minimum of 15psi dynamic pressure while a conventional tank type W.C. only requires a 3/8" supply line with a minimum of 8psi dynamic pressure.

If your intent is to conserve water you could replace the existing flushometer valves with water saver type flushometer valves but the supply line size would still remain the same. On the other hand, if you want to reduce the line size you would have to convert to tank type W.C.'s.

o
RE: sloan valve WC - do i need to replace?

great thanks very much for the info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here