Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny20

18 vs 19 gauge ss sink

ginny20
12 years ago

I've chosen the Elkay Aqua Divide sink for my kitchen remodel. It comes in 19 gauge or 18. The 18, of course, is a couple of hundred dollars more. The 19 actually fits my space a little better because it's 18 1/8" instead of 18 1/2" deep, and space is tight. Both have "Heavy Duty Sound Guard undercoating to reduce condensation and dampen sound." My granite installer was the one who suggested that you really shouldn't have anything less than 18 (he's not the one selling me the sink, BTW, so it's not more money to him). So how much a difference will it make in noisiness and dent-ability if I get the 19?

Is it important to the decision that I will routinely wash my 45 lb dog in this sink?

thanks

Comments (10)

• nod702
    12 years ago

Are you serious? Bathing a dog in your kitchen sink? Sure wouldn't want to eat any food prepared in your kitchen. Don't get me wrong, i/we love animals, but we never allow any animal in the kitchen.

• alphonse
    12 years ago

The difference of seven thousandths of an inch (+/- two human hairs) isn't going to have appreciable affect unless the sink is very large in plane dimension, say for commercial duty.
    Both gauges are susceptible to denting.

• ginny20
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Alfonse. I thought it couldn't be that different, but I wanted to run it by the experts.

Mirabelle makes a 16 gauge sink that is very similar in style and price. Maybe that would be a better way to go. Any thoughts?

• alphonse
    12 years ago

Any of the thicknesses mentioned are sufficient for the purpose and with average care will outlive the purchaser, though I make the claim with American alloy only.

16 ga. has much greater dent resistance and resists deformation in surface mount configuration.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

You also have to keep in ,mind the thickness is the metal BEFORE it is drawn (punched) into its final shape.

Sinks start as a flat piece, and are formed in large dies.
    This stretches the metal making it thinner on the sides and near the changes in plane around bends.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

undermounted, Elkay Aqua Divide sink is only 30" by 16.5" after you put the countertop over it. That is Not a space hog. And, remember that you can have the countertop overhang also.

yes, if you drop a large sharp point into the sink, a little ding mark will show. No big deal. So what. Good to know, and also practically useless to know. the more you think this through, the worse it gets. Overthinking leads to inaction.

you want a big sink. The bigger it is, in the flat part, the more the flex there is (in a steel sheet). There are large sinks made by Blanco ("silgranite") which may be better for you because of the size. Elkay makes E-Granite too.

• ginny20
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for feedback.

OK, so the difference in these gauges is somewhat negligible. I can look at the relative prices and see which provides the best value for me.

My current overmount double bowl SS sink is from 1961. It has lots of little scratches - um, patina - but I think it looks just fine. No dents. So you're right,alfonse, a decent ss sink will outlive the buyer. This sink did outlive the PO who chose it.

davidro - I'll go look at the silgranite-type sinks again. There might be one that would be a little wider with the smart divide. My DD (dear dog?) fits OK in my current sink, but a little bigger would be nice.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

i would not go look at them.
    To find a size larger than 30", i would web search.
    elkay, swanstone, blanco, franke.
    These are the companies that i can remember that have an e-granite or silgranite.
    Also, Home Depot and Lowe's have copycat versions.

look inside all their web sites, and email them a simple query that they can respond to.
    E.g. -- width larger than 30"; do you have a model larger than 30"? --
    Yes, it's a lot of work.
    But it takes less time than a single store visit.
    You choose whether to use your time in one activity or another.

• raro
    12 years ago

Consumer reports issue on kitchens said that there was not a significant difference between these grades.