Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anthonyg_ma

Gas water heater replacement advice

anthonyg_ma
9 years ago

We had our GE 40 gal short-profile water heater installed exactly 10 years ago this month. We bought it at HD, and also had them do the install. We have, literally, never had an issue or problem with it over the past 10 years. (granted, it's just the 2 of us, but we take multiple showers per day, wash multiple loads of laundry per day, run a dishwasher, etc. so it's had a pretty good workout!) I want to be proactive and replace it now, seeing as it's likely nearing the end of its life-cycle. I would gladly replace it with the same (or as close as possible) GE model, but cannot find one. It seems my choices are Rheem (HD), Whirlpool (Lowes) or Bradford White (contractor-supplied). The higher-end Rheem appears to have a decent track record. Same with Whirlpool. I have seen mixed-reviews on the Bradford White though ... plumbers & HVAC guys seem to love them, but a lot of home-owners seem to feel the complete opposite about that brand. (understandably, the person doing the installation has a significant impact on how the unit performs as well) I figure I'm looking at around $900-1200 for purchase & install, regardless of the brand. Does anyone have any recommendations, a brand to avoid, etc they could share? I am in MA, so I'm not sure if regional aspects come in to play as well (model availability, variations in quality, etc).

Thank you in advance!

Comments (4)