Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
loose water well cover - present for total coliform

Posted by Lotteryticket (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 13:01

I had my water tested the other day and it came back positive for total coliform, negative for e-coli and twice the limit for arsenic. I took a quick look at the well and the cover can be moved about 1/8th to 1/4th inch in either direction. Should it be tight? Could that be where the bacteria is getting in? Boiling and filtering all water now as I don't want to take a chance.

We have had a very rainy June, so I assume that has something to do with the test results. I will make some calls on Monday to the folks that originally drilled the well but I thought someone here might have some advice.
Thanks!
LT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: loose water well cover - present for total coliform

Unless the top of the well is so low that surface water gets in, like in heavy rain flooding into the well, the cover presents no problem so long as it keeps out mice and squirrels. In fact, covers must admit air (inhale and exhale) so that the pump can draw water from the well and and more water can flow in from the veins below- the air volume of the well must change accordingly. Coliform might not necessarily make you sick. I suspect that I have been immune for many years. E-coli is another matter and you do not have that.
Arsenic? Can't offer advice about that. But some 60 years ago, feed supplements for chickens contained low levels of arsenic which was believed to be beneficial for them. Seek additional advice about the arsenic.

o

Thanks, bus driver! We shocked the system and flushed it out this week. We drew another sample this morning. If it still tests present we will start looking at the pipes and work our way back to the well itself to see if we can figure out where it's getting in.

o

My understanding is insects can also cause well water to test positive for total coliform. You might need to check to see if insects are contaminating the well.

Good luck with the second test. We also have total coliform, have shocked the well twice and will have our third testing next week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here