Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparklingwater_gw

Where's this black grease/oil coming from beneath the toilet flap

SparklingWater
10 years ago

Our toilet kept running and filled ever so slowly, so our plumber sent his man a month ago. Turned out is wasn't the water inlet pipe which I was glad to hear, and his diagnosis was a leaky water valve assembly which got switched out, but not the flapper valve with the universal two part Fluid Master kit.

When he did this, he noted a heavy black liquid to be present beneath the flapper, so he with house water off, he took off the tank top and did something in there. The black liquid is copious, dark and not easy to get off the porcelain.

Ever since, the toilet has been intermittently running water at times. :/ Today I thought I best get out that new flapper valve and change it out too. I attempted to do so (with house water off as toilet turn valve is stuck) but the bottom of the old flapper was just covered with dark pitch as is the tank now. I quickly put the old flapper back on and hooked the chain, turned back on the house water. I've called the plumber.

What might that black oil like or grease be coming from: why would the original man have to take off the top to do something to fix it? why is the bottom of the old flapper covered in this black?

Thanks very much for any explanation.

-SW

Comments (7)

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Do you use chlorine tablets in your toilet tank (or other "blue" tablets to keep the toilet clean)?

Some of those tablets are too hard on and degrade the rubber giving black sludge/disintegrating rubber. Does it seem like that?

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks kirkhall for your comment. No, I don't use clorine tank tabs, in fact use chlorine even diluted less and less in bathrooms due to corrosion issues.

But, the plumber did return and said it was the flapper which is deteriorating, causing the black on it's reverse side. So tomorrow a new one will be installed.

Wouldn't you know it, today the same bathroom faucets started leaking. Think we're going to replace that old cabinet, sink, corian ct and faucets and freshen things up.

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

Home drain/sewage pipes are commonly coated with a black slimey sludge that resembles grease. It's bacteria/bio-slime, call it what you want. It sounds like you may have it in your toilet tank, which seems odd but I'm not a plumber. I'm surprised your plumber didn't mention it as a possibility.

Try cleaning the affected area with a diluted chlorine solution (maybe 4 water to 1 chlorine) plus some dishwashing detergent. Scrub the affected area and let it stay on for 15-20 minutes before rinsing off. Wear rubber gloves. See if that helps.

There are also some commercial products that can be used to clean off the slime but the bleach/water/soap combo often works.

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my, that does not sound nice. It didn't have any odor or particulate matter; it was like black oil.

Well, the deteriorated gasket was replaced today (proper fit thing). But I will investigate this bio-slime-hmm.

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I checked up on the new gasket today and no evidence of black liquid or other on it's underside. Think I'll do that for a few days in a row. When scrubbing out the black marks left from the oily mess in the tank and the bowl, I resorted to bleach as they were so dark and it took quite a while and a lot of muscle power to get them off. I don't think this is Bioslime, as I'd expect such to come off much easier with active scrubbing since it's organic. But, I thank you for your knowledge and will add that to watch for.

• homebound
    10 years ago

Treated water does that. Our water in Arlington VA & Washington, DC is "chloraminated" (as opposed to chlorinated), which degrades them more quickly.

You can live with it and eventually replace, or, if you're lucky, you might find one rated for chloramined water (not too many out there, though). More important is to make sure the flapper fits your toilet. They are not as "universal" as the packages would have you believe. .

This post was edited by homebound on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 15:29

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks homebound. I had no idea of "chloraminated". Yes, the flapper contraption is an old set up-don't no really how to describe, kinda 90 degrees white thing with a plastic arm connector to which the gasket hooks in. Turns out you have to buy just the right arm length to get the right fit. Crazy.

Thanks for the education on this matter. I appreciate it much.