Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellessebee_gw

Would like some help assessing water treatment proposals

ellessebee
10 years ago

We are renovating a house that has a private well. We think the well is about 100 feet deep - there is a high water table because of proximity to a lake - but it has not been verified. We are seeking proposals for several improvements to the ancient well system. There is currently no water treatment at all - just a jet pump. We have been advised that the old well head should be changed to raise it above the ground. Our contractor's plumber did some water testing and got the following results.
pH 5.94
Alkalinity 50 ppm
Hardness 8 GPG
Iron .78 PPM
Manganese ND
Copper .40 PPM
TDS 242 PPM
Turbidity 1.8 NTU
LSI -2.66 @53F
Tannins ND

Our contract with the GC doing the renovation includes a new well tank by Amtrol or equivalent, whole house water filtration system and water softener. Although he is willing to do this work, the plumber has become unavailable, having taken a full-time job, so we are seeking other proposals. We currently have several proposals on the table for various pieces of this job as well as some additional work. It's hard for me to put the pieces together and compare. I'd love to get some opinions and suggestions on how to evaluate and proceed.

Proposal #1
Install new Franklin Constant pressure submersible pump including 1.5 hp 15gpm 3 phase pump with new 1: piping and submersible well cable; new water tank in house with stainless steel fittings, pump controller with pressure set to 75 PSI. The cost of this job is $4500

Proposal #2
Raise well head above ground to code and extend well casing with 6" steel pipe and varmint proof well cap. New pitiless adaptor fitting on casing to eliminate well pit. The cost of this is $950

Proposal #3 - NOTE: no brand names were provided
High pressure/high volume water system with upgraded control valve on each filtration system that allows for high flow rates than tradition system:
Water softener: $1,400
Acid neutralizer: $1,400
1.5 CF whole house activated carbon filter: $1,300
10 GPM ultra violet sterilization system : $1,300

Proposal #4 NOTE: this proposal was provided by the GC's plumber and the total cost is $1000 above and beyond what is already included in the contract specified above.
3M Aquapure APiF200M whole house automatic iron filter and acid Neutralizer
3M Aquapure CWS150ME 1" whole-house metered water softener
3M XL7000 Under sink full flow premium drinking water system
3M CUNO CACTUS X12 1: whole house automatic ultra-violet disinfection system
I am especially wondering if the proposed under-sink drinking water system meets the contract spec for whole house water filtration or if we should be getting something else if we decide to use this plumber for the work.

Proposal #5 - This would have to be an add-on to a water treatment system that was not included in the proposal because this guy suggests waiting until we move in and use the water to determine what is necessary. I am reluctant to wait because the results of the test, and condition of the plumbing prior to renovation, indicated the need.
Remove existing jet pump and pipe
Install Goulds Submersible pump with 1/2 HP, 230 volt, 3 wire single phase, lightening protected motor, set in well at depth of 100" using schedule 80 pipe
Additional casing adapter and 6" casing to extend casing above ground. Pitless adapter and well cap.
From pump motor to pipe will strap double insulated rubber milprene subersible wire
Will utilize jet lines to act as conduit for submersible wiring (#12 wiring)
Well Xtrol WX250 captive air tank 44 gal capacity and 12.9 gal drawdown at 40/60 pounds. Cost: $4317

Additional sediment filter 20gpm $577.

I realize these are not apples-apples comparisons but I would appreciate help in evaluating them and putting together the correct request for proposals so we can compare apples to apples.
Thanks.

Comments (2)