Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suz04079

Vacation home- way to keep water on in Winter

suz04079
9 years ago

I've searched everywhere and can't find any answers. We are building a vacation home in Maine. We'd like to go up occasionally in the winter but unsure about leaving water on.

Is there any way to turn off water and drain everything and later, quickly turn everything on for a weekend?

Thanks- Suz

Comments (9)

• klem1
    9 years ago

Lucky you,or I should say smart you for asking about this BEFORE building the house instaed of after completion. Plumbers in cold climates should do it without being asked but make certain they install "a low point drain". Depending on customer access to the meter and ease of turning meter on and off,having a main cut off near or inside house is also a good feature. Ask that a ball valve or other simple to operate valve is used for main cut off and low point drain. Your arcitect most liky specifyed all this in his blue prints. If you purchased plans instead of having them custom drawn,have someone like your general contractor make certain the plans are for your climate and make changes if plans were intended for a Southern climate. There are a host of other issues to be addressed for climate such as insulation,windows,hvac and roof snow load.

• suz04079
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for the info. I will pass it on to my architect. If we just shut the main valve when we leave, could we just turn it on whenever we return?
    I have a feeling the answer is no. There's got to be something besides keeping the heat set at a minimum temp. Suz

• klem1
    9 years ago

The main should be off during long absences even in summer in case somthing begains leaking. Then there are degrees that various people go to while closing down their vacation home. For instance options include water heater,drain or not to drain. Personaly,my choice is dictated by leingth of time cabin is idle because amoung other issues,water sitting in the heater can take on some weird odors. As you get farthur along with having a secound home you will pick up tips from others with similar places. That is so very important because it is location specific and based on first hand experience.

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

The point of the drain, if not clear, is to be able to drain all the pipes when you turn off the water and leave. If you turn off the heat, you'll need to pour antifreeze in the toilets and washing machines. You'll use the stuff for RVs or boats, not cars. I think this stuff doesn't harm septic tanks if that is what you have.

If you're using a boiler for heat, you have similar issues. You either leave it on or drain it.

• suz04079
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How would it work if we kept heat on low, and put anti freeze in toilet and washer? Can you easily drain the dishwasher and water heater? Does it take a long time to drain? Upon return, would it take a long time for the water heater to fill? I know someone who blows air into all the pipes before closing for the winter. Our problem is we want to be able to go up there occasionally in the winter. Suz

• klem1
    9 years ago

I reccomend making it known to the GC you want convenuence closing up on departure and getting systems up and running on arrival. When the home is complete the GC's repesentive should walk you through everything in the place. You increasingly sound like a candidate for hireing a full time resident to handle this for you. It is worth looking into. Call him in advance so that when you arive hvac has the place comfortable and you aren't shivering in the dark turning things on. It's also good to have someone who knows your place that can check it during extended absenceses, storms and such.

• suz04079
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Klem- Thanks for the advice. I think you're right. I clearly don't understand plumbing. Suz

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

" If you turn off the heat, you'll need to pour antifreeze in the toilets and washing machines."

Don't neglect the various sink traps, washing machine trap, hoses to dishwashers and clothes washing machines, ice maker supply lines, etc.

Simply opening a low point drain and a high vent does NOT drain ALL of the potable water system!

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

You should never allow the temp to go below 50 degrees. The expansion and contraction and humidity flucations will not do the building any good.

I would install a low temp alarm that could dial a local HVAC company.

At 50 degrees, if something should happen, you have a buffer to get it fixed.