Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
well sediment in irrigation filter - help please!

Posted by dantis (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 10:33

Hi All,

I had a submersible well pump replaced 1 year ago. It still operates fine, except, now that I have turned on my irrigation system, the irrigation filter with 60 mesh screen is getting clogged with sediment. its sand and fine silt mostly, rust colored. I don't see this in my house fixtures because I have a water softener. After only 4 hours of sprinkler run time the filter is clogged solid. Any ideas why I am getting so much sediment? When it was first put in, i got some, and I had the pump raised some, but apparently that did not work. I am also concerned I may be clogging my pump and stressing my softener system. I am at a loss. well guy wants me to run garden hose from bottom of pressure tank to "flush" well again, but its been a year!! Help please!!

Thank you

dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: well sediment in irrigation filter - help please!

I should also note, that before i had the pump changed, there was a paper whole house ctaridge filter on the irrigation system that I would only need to change once a season, no sediment at all. So the problem did start with the new pump.

o
RE: well sediment in irrigation filter - help please!

How deep is the well? Is it a shallow well? If so you may need a sand removal filter. The attached link shows an automatic model which purges sand at a variable setting. It can be purchased at one of the big box retailers. The item number is a Lowes item number. You may be able to google the model and find another source.

My first well was sending sand up and when I researched the well log, the driller only went through 85 feet of sand/silt. I had them drill another well deeper and through the rock layer to water on the other side. No sand, but plenty of iron here. I have an iron filter which works Great.

Hope this helps,

Take Care

Dan

Ecopure Whole House Sediment Water Filtration System
Item #:291417 : Model #:EP-ASF1

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here