Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Urgent Question: Rubber Tubing for Gas Line to Stove?

Posted by TiagosDad (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 10:32

Help! We're renovating our kitchen, and the contractor used a pretty heavy duty rubber tube to bring gas from the line that comes into the house to feed the furnace up through the ceiling to where the stove is in the kitchen. I think he did it this way in order to not have to open the ceiling up in the basement, the tubing is obviously flexible and he was able to thread it to the connection point without too much trouble. He's a home inspector and says that this meets the code requirements. I always thought gas lines needed to be metal. Should I be worried? Do I need to make him fix it or bring someone else in to fix it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Urgent Question: Rubber Tubing for Gas Line to Stove?

Do you have a picture? Are you certain it is a rubber line, or could it be coated corrugated stainless steel?

Here is a link that might be useful: Like this?

o

It certainly looked and felt like very thick rubber to me, as it was pretty pliable. The connection end seemed to be coated in rubber as well, which looks different from the picture you linked to. I'll check it when I get home tonight and will take a picture then.

o

It there is any writing on the piping, photograph that too.

o

I wasn't able to get a picture last night, but the contractor says that it is in fact the corrugated metal pipe with a rubber sheath. He also says that they tested the connection with some special plumbers' liquid that blows a large blue bubble if there's a leak. Does that sound right to you guys?

o

The installer may be telling you the truth. Be advised that fuel gases compressed to the liquid stage ( relatively easy with propane, not easy with natural gas ) act as solvents, much like paint thinner. I would not use rubber lines for fuel gases, but metal with rubber outer coating is OK.

o

At Standard Atmoshoeric pressure to 1psig (the average pressure of natural gas in residential service) the boiling temperature of the gas is -240degF. I doubt seriously if the line would ever get cold enough to condensate to a liquid.

o

What does the AHJ have to say?

o

I do not seem to recall that actual flex line (as used for things like outdoor NG grills) is legal inside.

CSST with a covering is legal in many places for the last connection to gas appliance, but it is not designed for repeated movement.

o

Under the IRC you can plumb the entire gas system with CSST if locally approved.

you can also run natural gas with copper tubing providing the gas is certified to contain equal to or less than 0.3 grains of hydrogen sulfide per 100cu/ft of gas.

gas lines run under a slab must be sleeved and the sleeve must be sealed on the inside end and vented to atmosphere on the outdoor end.

All copper lines run under a slab must be continuous roll pipe or all joints must be "brazed". (No soldeer or mechanical joints under slab).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here