Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lafdr

How to get sticks out of a plumbing vent ?

lafdr
9 years ago

After repeat clogs in a toilet the plumber scoped the line and there are 2 sticks approximately 6-10 inches x 1/8-1/4 inch upright in the roof vent at the bottom. They stick down into the horizontal line and are snagging toilet paper and waste.

He tried snaking from above directly into the vent with the sticks with one, even 2 snakes at a time, and his larger snake as well.

The sticks just move out of the way and are not breaking up.

The plumber wants to break into the floor to get them out. Which will then require repair.

I hate that idea since they are just sticks and will eventually decompose.

Any ideas to get these sticks out or break them up besides breaking into the floor?

I want him to try pressure washing.Any chance pressure washing would get them through? If the sticks can just get past the pipe connection they should wash all the way out.

Would you just keep using the toilet and waiting for it to reclog as the sticks decompose? Or go ahead with breaking into the floor?

He is going to put caps on the vent pipes so future sticks are less likely to get in.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Comments (4)

• hippy
    9 years ago

Show this photo to your plumber as an example for it may make sense to him.

1/2" rubber hose, flexible long spring with a wide spacing between the loops. Attach the spring to the end of the hose in such a way that it can turn when the hose is twisted. Snake the hose down the vent while spinning/twisting it. Once it reaches the twigs the spring may catch the twigs and "thread" them toward the hose and cause them to break apart.

I have used this method a few times to remove twigs and leaves from vent systems.

• klem1
    9 years ago

Your plumber is a fake or you are slanting the story. Sewer machines are used to clear roots on routine basis every day. Saw heads are available with cutters suitable for anything up to and including fresh concrete.

• hippy
    9 years ago

Why would call Lafdr's plumber a fake? Do you know them?

Not all plumbers that do routine work owns equipment such as Spiral Cutters and a Drum Machine/Electric Ells to use it.

The post read.. "upright in the roof vent at the bottom.. They stick down into the horizontal line."

I take it that the sticks went down through the vent on the roof and are stuck vertically into the main sewer line that runs horizontally. If that is the case. Then toilet paper can easily be snagged causing flow problems..

If the plumber went to the roof and tried to snake the sticks out using just a wire type manual drain snake. Then he/she may not be able to remove the sticks or break them up.

I am no licensed plumber Nor do I have a truck load of plumbing tools. But I have used a piece of old 1/2" garden hose with a 1 1/2 compression spring attached to the end to clear vent blockages more than once. Have even used a section of capped 3/4" PVC pipe with Liquid Nails adhesive to remove over 10 light bulbs from one business's sewer vents. When you tick off the maintenance man you can find anything dropped into sewer vents.

• klem1
    9 years ago

Why do I say the plumber is a fake? Because fake sounds more civil than dumb a$$. I am a strong supportor of the notion that a large part of knowing what you are doing is knowing your limitations and not going in over your head, Wherther they own proper tools or not,ANY PLUMBER should know about them and who can use them. It matters not that the sticks are standing virtical,a cutter mounted to the proper size cable will take care of it. Pulling the toilet will alow atacking it broad side if that's what one prefers doing. If the so called plumber puts a sink snake in 4" lines,that is farthur evidence of his stupidity. A snake too small for the line can and will tie it's self in a knot creating even greater problems. Good grief hippy,do you believe the man gets a pass for not knowing his trade? Come to think of it,I think goof ball might fit him better since he now wants to destroy the floor. What is the approprate point to say it's over my head and bow out instaed of creating unnessary damage to the home. If he didn't own and know how to use correct tools,he should never started,much less keep wading in deeper. No thanks,I don't want him near my place.