Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ski_me

Well water backflush tie-in to Sewer line?

Ski-me
9 years ago

A few big things we are trying to fix. The first is the amazing amount of noise that our sump pump makes when the check valve stops the water. All of our backwash water from our whole house filter system drops into a sump pump. Whenever the thing kicks on, it give us a big, loud bang! Not that big a deal if it was more remote in the house....

However, the pipe is right next to our heads in our master bedroom. It's keeping us up at night!

So, I spoke with filter guy and he said we can drain up to 8' above system. I only need about 3-4' to tie into our existing gravity line. His BIG concern is odor or "backup" fluid getting into filter system. He wanted to be very cautious about tying into our sewer line.

I spoke with our plumber and he doesn't think it's a hard thing to do. I just want to be sure it's done correctly.

I've searched on the web and found what's called an "air gap" fitting. Does this look to be the most correct way of making the connection?

Here are a few pics that seem to be the best approach for us. We have 3 discharge lines which equates to 98% of the water going into the sump. So this is obviously the main fix for us.

I did find this article so it certainly got me to pause...
http://www.purewatergazette.net/blog/2012/10/

Our other issue us sewer smell in other basement sump. We may just replace the whole thing! Obviously, a few major things I'd like to get fixed!!

This post was edited by Ski-me on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 10:16