Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
laundry renovation washing machine standpipe redo?

Posted by dgeist (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 10:10

I have a 1960s home with cast iron drains and the laundry room on slab. The current standpipe to the washing machine box has no (visible) trap or vent in the wall, for at least 4 feet on either side. The pipe itself is either 2" or 2.5" and goes straight down into the slab. It MAY be tied into a lavatory drain vent in an adjacent half-bath (but that's at least 4' away).

I know adding a vent wouldn't hurt, but I want to do it on the proper side of a trap, and I don't know if I even HAVE a trap. How can I identify/locate a trap in a slab, or is that most easily done with a plumbing video scope?

Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: laundry renovation washing machine standpipe redo?

A washer on a string, lower it down and see if you hit water. A vent goes in after the trap. The order is sink/standpipe, trap, vent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here