Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
installing roman tub handles

Posted by fritzlovesmary (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 27, 10 at 9:36

hi, i am new here with my first post - even though i have been reading and learning in this forum for a while now.

we want to install roman tub handles for our bathtub and i was wondering if instead of using the connection for the provided flexible hand shower hose we could use a copper pipe and install a fixed shower head in the wall.
thanks

fritz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: installing roman tub handles

Showers are inappropriate with a Roman tub unless the tub is installed with an integral tile flange to keep the overspray from penentrating behind the wall and onto the floor. Adding a shower to a tub that wasn't designed for it is an inviation to water damage and the mold that goes along with it.

BTW, you'll need to also change out your valves to your tub unless you are buying compatible handles from the same manufacturer as the valve already installed.

o

No mention of changing the tub, just handles, etc.

As for the handheld shower arm, does it look basically like a short version of a regular shower arm? If so, you can unscrew it and replace with a regular shower arm (6" or 8").

o

thanks for your answers. the tub will be put in a 3-sided alcove (2 outside walls) and has a tile flange on these 3 sides. all the plumbing will be new (no old handles, valves, etc.). i finally got to see a set of roman handles with a hand shower and i think i can just replace the flexible hose with a copper pipe to the shower head.
thanks again.
fritz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here