Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overmount an Undermount??

Posted by azishot (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 9:34

This may seem silly but I received a REALLY good deal locally on an undermount sink and am getting new laminate counters. How can I mount this as a drop-in sink and make sure it doesn't ruin the particle board on the new counter? Same goes for mounting the faucet directly to the counter?
Thank you for all the help ahead of time!

Here is a link that might be useful: sink I bought

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overmount an Undermount??

Either a different sink or a different counter.
JMHO

o

School's out already?
Tempus Fugit.

o

Nothing is a good deal if it is not designed for your intended application.

o

Wise words. Out of curioustity what are the main differences? Just being nieve but wouldn't using an epoxy to keep in in place and silicon to seal it from water getting to laminate be fine?

o

A topmount sink's flange is much larger and is designed to spread out the weight and have the sink "hang" from it when supported by a counter. An undermount sink's flange does not usually widen out enough to be able to use it to support the weight of the sink properly on laminate. That flange merely has to come into contact with a small area of solid counter when undermounted. The brackets or cradle support the actual weight and spread it out through the surrounding stone or to the cabinet below. 1/4" of metal resting on plastic on particle board isn't sufficient safe support for a heavy sink full of water.

There are some "dual mount" sinks that have a large flat flange that can work either way, but that sink ain't one of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here