Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insects inside of outdoor water spigot

Posted by rrah (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 7:02

This is a weird one. For the last several years I have seen insect carcasses and tiny bits of leaves come out of one of our outdoor spigots when I fill watering cans, etc. At one point in time some of the water coming out was dirty. It's never caused a problem and usually I've been able to run the water for several minutes and clear it out. Yesterday I ran the hose out to the garden and attached it to a soaker hose. I checked on the garden a couple of hours later, and it was still dry. I did some trouble shooting with the hoses, etc. and determined the lack of water was at the spigot.

I turned the water off, detached the hose, and turned the water back on. Several bug carcasses or something that looked like black and brown bits of grossness came out. No bits of plant matter this time though. I hooked the hose back up and tried again. Again, the water stopped running after a minute or two. I detached the hose again and ran the water for several minutes. A few more bugs came out when I first turned the water on and then stopped. I went through the process several times. Still no water going through the hose after a minute. I'll try the hose on a different spigot today, but it really seems to be a problem in the spigot or the water line. I'm at a loss as to how to get any remaining bugs out of the water line and how to prevent this from happening in the future. Any suggestions?

I've done a google search for this no luck.

I'll also add this, living out in the country can bring some odd house issues!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insects inside of outdoor water spigot

When you discovered the problem you should have capped the hose bib when not in use. Every hardware store has metal caps for exactly that purpose.

You might try an electrician's "fish tape" to clear the hose bib but BE CAREFUL.

You could get one of those big suction gizmo's and fill it with hot water to see if you can loosen the stoppage and then let the system water pressure blow it out.

o

The simple answer is,,,There are no bugs in the water line...only in the faucett and they will flush out with the water flow.

o

When you first turned the hose on some of the bugs were pushed into the hose. Your hose is plugged.

o

Insects can also get in the hose unless both ends are closed at all times.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here