Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soonermagicmama

Whole House Water Filtration Advice, Please

soonermagicmama
9 years ago

In process of remodeling and want to put in a whole house water filtration system. Have an EWS in my current house (going on 7 years). Pleased with taste/smell of water, how it feels and makes our skin/hair feel in showering, with the ease of use of this system, and have had no build-up on fixtures in the 7+ years we've lived here. Did little research when installed the EWS. Wondering if should install the same unit (quoted $3900) or go with something else. Plumber quoted a North Star unit for ($400). That's quite a difference in price! Googling the 2 systems hasn't presented much info. Consumer Reports doesn't address whole house filtration either.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about water. I just know that I want to avoid buying bottled water, I don't want 2 faucets at a sink to provide filtered at faucet as I don't want to be limited to one faucet in entire house with filtered water. Whole house is easy to install so that's what I want. Just, what brand/solution do I need?

City water report shows:
Total Hardness: 150 mg/L as CaCO3
Calcium Hardness: 70 mg/L as CaCO3
Magnesium Hardness: 70 mg/L as CaCO3
Total Alkalinity: 180 mg/L
Chloride: 15 mg/L
pH: 8.8 pH Units
Fluoride: 1.0 mg/L
Chloramine Residual: 2.0 mg/L
Turbidity: 0.09 NTU

I also know there have been reports of elevated chromium in our water but all I've seen the City say is that it's below EPA max of 100 ug/l.

What do I need? What do you recommend? Many, many thanks for input!

Comment (1)