Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david_cary_gw

How to get 1/4 in compression fittings to stop leaking

david_cary
13 years ago

So I'm installing a preplumbed coffee maker thatt uses a water supply just like a fridge ice maker. I have no problems with the pex to 1/2 brass to valve connection. The valve and coffee maker came with the 1/4 in brass compression fittings. I bought some 1/4 in plastic hose.

How tight do I need to get these fittings? It is very hard to access the connection behind the coffee maker so I have to have my wife tighten it while I am holding the thing up. I initially hand tightened and that leaked. I am trying to come up with a strategy - do I tighten until it stops leaking? Or keep water off and tighten to a moderate wrench tighten? Tighten as strong as my wife can do in an awkward position?

Or (best) would be a tubing that doesn't rely on crappy brass compression fittings. Like maybe something with a rubber seal made like you use with faucets? The line is supposed to be between 3.5 and 5 feet although I'd accept a 6 ft line (the actual rule is less than 5 feet but I need at least 3.5 feet to slide the thing in and out)

Comments (9)