Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some water runs from tub spout when using shower

Posted by Lionheart12 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 28, 11 at 4:09

A plumber came to my house and installed a new delta shower/tub kit.

When in shower mode, some water still runs from the tub spout even though I pulled the diverter handle all the way up. Its not much, just three stream lines of water, but is this normal? According to Delta, some water is suppose to run from the tub spout, a pencil size width of water to be exact.

According to my plumber, he said that it is normal and that some other diverters out there actually have mechanisms to prevent this type of occurrence. He also said that it may also be caused by high pressures.

Has anyone noticed this with their own tub spout diverter? I thought since this shower/ tub kit is suppose to be water saving, why would water be flowing from the tub spout? That would waste more water than save.

By the way, it is a single handle tub/shower kit. The Delta classic monitor series 13 I believe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some water runs from tub spout when using shower

As you've been told, with the pull-up diverter, you can expect some small amount of water to still come out of the tub spout. That is because the mating surfaces of the diverter valve are not always machined to be 100% water-tight, just sufficiently to provide enough resistance to water flow that the water will go up to the shower head. Some are more water-tight than others. You might want to look for a better one. The mechanism is all in the spout.
A water-saving shower head may give enough back pressure so that more water may leak through the diverter than if you had a full flow shower head.
The knob-type diverter valve will shut off the tub spout completely.

o
RE: Some water runs from tub spout when using shower

Thanks for replying.

Off the top of your head, do you have any suggestions of which diverter is better, the brand more specifically?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here