Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing toilet with 13' rough in-- go 12 or 14'?

Posted by sharonskips (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 3:37

1. From the wall to the middle of the bolts of the existing toilet is exactly 13" I triple measured, 13". BUT the toilet sticks out from the wall about an inch or so too far. So for the next one to be closer to the wall am I looking for to fit to a 12" or 14" rough in?

2. When I know the answer to #1, I want to try to buy the replacement at Habitat Restore (yep, a pre-owned toilet). How do I recognize which ones are the right size for the rough in?

Your help is very appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing toilet with 13' rough in-- go 12 or 14'?

Well, with each toilet you put a vertical edge up against the back of the toilet (to simulate a wall), then measure from the bolt holes back to that "wall". You could do this with a vanity cabinet in the store, a door, a nearby wall or post, or you could bring along your 4' level and do it that way.

Some toilets will give you extra room to the wall even when sized properly, others less so. (Eg. if one buys a Am. Std. Cadet 3 with standard 12" rough, it's sits quite far off the wall anyway.

o

Bring my own wall, of course! I was all stumped over the math, and you bring me the common sense of experience. Thank you SO much!

o

If I allow for the overhang of the tank lid my L-square should be perfect for the job. Seriously, you made my day!

o

Homebound: you wrote:
(Eg. if one buys a Am. Std. Cadet 3 with standard 12" rough, it's sits quite far off the wall anyway."

Does this mean you could actually put it on an 11" rough-in, or a 10"?

o

Thanks, Sharon - you made my day, too.

Sue,
Yup, it might fit an 11" rough, but who has that?

The extra space behind the toilet might seem odd at first, but not much you can do after it's installed so might as well get used to it. (And that's when you talk up the positives to a client of having it that way: a) easier to paint wall behind toilet, B) more dramatic effect, C) allows one to build a really skinny shelf right behind it (that you always wanted), D) one of the best flushers money can buy, E) cleans easier, ......

o

The standard rough-in is 12".

In addition to those mentioned by homebound, is condensation and the restriction of natural air circulation when the tank is close to the wall, which can promote mold growth.

o

"Yup, it might fit an 11" rough in, but who has that?"

I do.

It is very annoying.

o

Turns out the toilet was so far from the wall because it was made to fit a 10" rough in. The rough in is the normal 12". One of the few normal things in the place.

Thanks everybody!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here