Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mydreamhome_gw

Floor Model Whirlpool Tub Piping Leaks

mydreamhome
12 years ago

Brought home a floor model, fully loaded, Kohler Purist (K-1110-V) manufactured in 2004 today to test. Showroom couldn't hook it up to test properly, so they let us take it home to see if it worked. Got it hardwired in to 240V, filled it up and turned it on. Everything seemed to work beautifully except for water spraying out one of the connections just above the pump motor. Fitting/connector was a little loose, so we tightened it slightly, but then water sprayed out both sides of the fitting vs. just one side. DH and DDad both say, "Take it back, don't take the chance. Even if this connector was repaired, which fitting will be the next to leak (and probably destroy all the wood surrounding the tub)?"

This tub is going in a new build & since it's a floor model, the plumber won't warranty it (the showroom & manufacturer won't either, hence the test drive. I did charge it to my credit card that extends the warranty by 1 year up to $500, though.) It retails for around $9000 and we got it for $900. (No way could we afford this tub at $9K). Is this kind of issue common in whirlpool tubs that haven't been installed yet? Is there any hope for this tub? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Purist Tub Link

Comments (3)