Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
studiovette

Sump pump failure

studiovette
9 years ago

So I came home tonight to the sound of an alarm coming from the basement and thought here we go! So my basepump back up water powered pump had done its job after my primary pump failed. What's weird is that as I was about to unplug it and pull it out I saw if kick on so I was very confused.
Anyway I unplugged it and cleaned out the pit with my shop vac. I had decided to take the zoeller pump outside and give it a good cleaning. I should also let you know that I have a tethered float switch that plugs into the pumps receptacle. So when I took it outside to clean I dropped it into a clean bucket of water and immediately it tripped the gfci outlet. I reset it and the other item plugged in stayed on as soon as I would raise the float it would trip the outlet. So I am very confused. The pump is at least 3/4 years old so I decided I would replace it with the zoeller that's been sitting in the box for about a year in case something like this would happen.
So my question is any idea what happend? Should I retest it using a regular outlet ? Is it a bad float switch? Should I just plug in the pump and see if it runs?
Thanks

Comment (1)