Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toto flapper

Posted by bus_driver (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 22:03

Yesterday was the first problem with my Totos now in use for 7 years. The chain lift pulled out of the flapper. No easy fix for the failure. Some sellers ask almost $25 for the flapper. 3" flush valve. Korky, Lavelle and Fluidmaster make flappers claimed to work on the Toto. After looking carefully, the Fluidmaster #5403 was my choice. Priced a little under $11 (plus tax) at Lowes. Works perfectly. Ingenious adjustments to fit different toilets. I believe that it will be more durable than the original.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toto flapper

Still a bit pricey IMHO.

o

What have you found that is both suitable and available at a better price?

o

Designer toilets = designer parts prices... just the way it is.

Does seem that the engineers at Fluidmaster are made to actually use what they design so their stuff works and their prices are as reasonable as possible.

o

I have Toto toilets and have used Fluidmaster flappers all along. Around $5.00 at Home Depot. Spares hanging in the garage.

o

I'd say that, if the replacement lasts 7 years, that's a depreciation of about 3 cents a week versus maybe 2 cents a week for a cheaper version, so it shouldn't be a big strain on your budget!

o

According to the HD website, they do not offer the model 5403 Fluidmaster flapper. And the ones they do offer are for smaller flush valves.

o

As it does with many other people, price does affect my purchase decisions. Why pay more than necessary for a particular item? But even though the nearest Lowes and HD are near each other, I go to Lowes first. Lowes location is fairly easy to exit and then go either direction on the public street. HD can be exited in one direction easily, but the other direction is a nightmare. And the easy direction leads away from Lowes. Going to HD first makes going to Lowes afterward difficult. It does affect my choices.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here