Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
20 year old shower head yeild 1/5gpm????

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 21:52

I must be doing something wrong. I have a teanager who can not seam to get out of the shower before 20 minutes...twice a day! I read that old tech shower heads could be using 4 - 5 gallons of water per minute. Well our home is 20 years old, we bought it 3 years ago, I assume the shower head is likely original. It sort of has 3 positions but we only ever use one and have no complaints. Its made of plastic. I was thinking that this sucker must be using 5 gallons a minute and I could save a bundle by putting a 1.5 gpm head in...save on my hot water heater too!

I took a 1.25 gallon bucket and it filled in 60 seconds. HOW CAN THAT BE? Was water saver tech around 20 years ago?

I have not tried the kids bathroom yet, just mine. It would seam I should leave weel enough alone...?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 20 year old shower head yeild 1/5gpm????

We had one in my house at least 25 if not 30 years ago.

o

If your shower heads are 20 years old no doubt the tiny holes in the shower head have by now been either restricted or obstructed by mineral scale deposits and its time to replace the shower heads.

o

Many older showers have had flow restrictors added to them. It's about a 10 cent piece of plastic and takes only a couple of minutes to install.

o

so are you saying folks could spend ten cents instead of $35 for a new head!?

o

The first step should be to remove the shower head and measure the flow directly from the shower arm. If your getting good flow from the shower arm then you know the problem is in the shower head.

If you determine the problem is in the shower head you may have success with soaking the shower head overnight in a solution of limeaway or CLR.

Now in regards to spending $35 on a new shower head, I have seen shower heads ranging from $4 to over $1400. personally my favorite one is chrome plated solid brass and produces a spray that feels like a pressure washer for a mere $4.

o

andrelaplume-
If you are only trying to reduce the flow through the showerhead, then yes. It's just a little plastic disc with a small hole in it. You take off the showerhead and place the disc up in the threads and then screw it back on. My utility gives them away for free.

Now if you have a showerhead with clogged holes and can't clean them out with a needle, then you may want to buy a new showerhead.

o

The shower head restrictors go back to the late '70s when we were in the second "energy crisis". But, if your head has plugged up to the point of 1.25 gpm, why replace it? That's what you want anyway, right?

o

"But, if your head has plugged up to the point of 1.25 gpm, why replace it? That's what you want anyway, right?"

Agreed.

o

NO, its no plugged up at all! It provides a nice shower. I just assumed since it was old there would be something more efficient...guess I was wrong...I am leaving it alone!

o

You could teach your teenager about "Navy showers".....wet down, turn water off while you soap-up/scrub-up, then rinse. Similar procedure for tooth-brushing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here