Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pacifican

Water Pressure Drop at Single Faucet . . . Cause?

pacifican
13 years ago

My kitchen faucet began losing water pressure (both H & C water) a couple months back. Now, it's down so low the I can't use the spray nozzle.

All other outlets in house have full pressure, so the cause is in this fixture or its supply. Assume there's an obstruction somewhere, but as both the Hot & Cold flows are similarly affected, I'm thinking it's in the fixture(an 8-year-old Grohe faucet), maybe the valve?

Before I start taking the faucet and/or lines apart, thought I'd seek some insights from this forum . . . . What are your thoughts about a cause and potential fix?

Comments (8)

• asolo
    13 years ago

Is this one of those with the pull-out feature? If so, start by pulling it out and unscrewing the connection....which will take seconds. Then turn the faucet on and check the flow from this open connection. My suspicion is that it will be fine which will lead you to disassembling and cleaning the outlet screens. If the flow is still restricted, you'll have to look upstream. In any event, this is the quickest/easiest way to begin.

I've had Grohe's for decades. For me, its always been the outlet screens.

• shw001
    13 years ago

I have the same problem. I dissassembled and cleaned the filter at the mouth of the handleld spray. However, still has low flow. When I remove the handheld spray and run water through the open hoze, it runs fine, with full flow.

Emailed Grohe and they had a couple of suggestions, which did not work. This is part number 46-359 for a pull-out kitchen faucet (model 33-853, installed in 1994).

Any other ideas? Can this handheld spray be dissasembled from the other end?

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

Aerator clogged up?

Unscrew it and see if there is sediment on the first screen.

• shw001
    13 years ago

Thanks Brickeyee,

Yes, I cleaned aerator screen, soaked all parts in venegar and brushed. Did not help. I am almost certain it is within the handle, but cannot figure it out. (I have an old handle that leaks because of a crack that I used as a test -- except for the leak, it runs fine).

BTW, all these parts are plastic, even though the finish looks like statinless steel.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

I also think you need to find the right part and that will solve it.
    I find it frustrating that you did not take the time to copy or write out what Grohe told you.

I went to http://www.grohecatalog.com/product/33853
    I saw the cartridge in an exploded parts diagram.
    I saw the vacuum breaker prior to the cartridge.

Would it be too much to ask if you have already looked at these parts?
    Would it be too much to ask if Grohe got you to look at these parts?
    Would it be too much to ask that you write out everything else you already know and have tried?

I'm sure there is a simple reason that is easy to find if you remain methodical.
    At http://www.grohecatalog.com/product/33853 one of the images to click on is the exploded parts diagram.
    Referring to it might help you keep a methodical approach.

hth

• shw001
    13 years ago

Davidro,
    I skipped some details out of concern to be brief on this great web site. I did study the diagrams and contacted Grohe.

1. As I stated above, I emailed Grohe and they had a couple of suggestions, which did not work: The suggestions were to replace the hose and/or clean a check valve, which is below the faucet/cartridge assembly. I ruled both of these out because (a) when I disconnect the hand held spray and run water out of the open hose, it runs fine, full flow; and (b) I tested it with an old hand held spray I had and it works fine. (this spray was replaced becasue it has a slow leak because of a crack in the side of the plastic housing). Therefore, the problem must be in the hand held spray.

2. As I stated above, I cleaned aerator screen/filter, soaked all parts in venegar and brushed them. The only other internal parts to the hand held spray is a gray plastic pipe, about 5 inches long,which is one unit and cannot be dissasembled so far as I can see. It is not shown in the Grohe diagram. This pipe connects to the hose. The only part inside this "pipe" is a white plastic device that may be an aerator. It moves only slightly.

By the way, this would be the 3rd replacement of this part on this faucet. The first two leaked due to seams in the plastic that were failing and were replaced by Groh at no charge years ago.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Otherwise I will have to buy a new hand held spray unit, about $138 at Grohe, but I have not yet checked other sources.

• LindaDLeeorder_sbcglobal_net
    12 years ago

I bought a Grohe Bridgeford faucet for my kitchen and it was installed a month ago. However, the hand sprayer is very hard to push when the water is running. I called your company and they sent me out a new hand sprayer that the handle worked real easy. But when we installed the new one it once again became very hard to push. It's as if there is pressure built up that is preventing it from working properly. Also, when the hand sprayer is first pushed on, the water is still coming out of the faucet. Once the pressure is release and you push it the second time then the water stops coming out of the faucet and the handle on the sprayer becomes easier to push - but when you shut the water off and turn it back on again it gets hard to push again. Do you think that something was installed on the faucet upside down that would be causing this pressure? Our old faucet worked fine but we remodeled our kitchen and I wanted something new. .

• Micheal Giron
    8 years ago

You need to soak the screens and parts in a stronger solution such as CLR. Soak for a couple of minutes in the solution half water half CLR. I had the same problem and it fixed it.