Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kohler toilet leak at tank base

Posted by hearthside_im_all_in (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 11 at 21:22

Hi folks, I hope someone can help me out with some ideas!

We noticed a leak in our Kohler toilet yesterday. When the toilet was flushed, water came out between the base of the tank and the pedestal, towards the bowl. The tank doesn't leak into the bowl at all, and it doesn't leak any other time. We thought the triangular tank gasket may be the problem (must be the connection between the tank and the pedestal, right?), and replaced it. We replaced the tank gasket two years ago and everything went fine, so we felt confident. Bad idea, that confidence - now the tank drained itself, and we still got external water when flushing. We tightened down the flush valve nut, put the tank back on, and no more tank draining! But we still get water leaking out. What could cause a sudden leak like this? It couldn't have been going on more than a day or two.

I don't think we have too many rebuilds left in us - significant other is perilously close to breaking the darn thing so we have to get a new toilet! I'm not quite ready to give up yet. I've been reading that Kohlers seem to be problematic. If we got a tank crack or something, shouldn't it leak all the time? Why just when flushing? How much space should there be between the tank and the pedestal? Should we just tighten the heck out of the 3 tank bolts and see what happens?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kohler toilet leak at tank base

Sounds to me like something is wrong with the gasket. It could be the gasket, or it could be a slight misalignment of the tank with the base, or it could be an imperfection in one of the mating surfaces (a warp or a bump). If it were me I'd get a new gasket and be very careful about seating/aligning the tank.

If you still have the problem after the attempted fix, get a new toilet...maybe a one-piece model!

o
RE: Kohler toilet leak at tank base

Thanks, kudzu9! We'll give it a shot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here