Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can we retrofit a high tank onto a flushometer toilet?

Posted by talley_sue_nyc (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 21:17

We have flushometer toilets in our 1921 co-op apartment.

We're going to have to replace them because NYC is mandating a backflow inhibitor which will cut the water pressure a lot, and they won't work. (Or, if they do work, they'll have much too negative an effect on the apartments above us.)

Other alternatives are to install costly pressure pumps and holding tanks, etc. Which is not really a desirable step.

Replacing the toilet is going to be problematic for several reasons:
-it's on an 8" rough-in (so, ripping up the tiled floor)
-it's got a side-intake flushometer (so, ripping open the tiled wall perhaps)
-it sticks out from the wall about 20", leaving plenty of room to stand in a room that's 50" wide; I can't find a toilet w/ less than 25-1/4" inches

So I got to wondering--can we just mount a tank above the toilet on the wall? You can buy the high tank by itself; can we simply attach it to the flushometer toilet?

And if so, can we offset the tank by a foot or so, or does it have to be directly below?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can we retrofit a high tank onto a flushometer toilet?

First of all, a backflow preventer does not alter the pressure and it would have no impact on your neighbors system pressure.

You can not install a high tank.

Based upon the age of your bowl it requires either 5gpf or possibly 3.5gpf, but code now mandates that you cannot install anything bigger than 1.6gpf, which would not be enough water to flush your bowl.

Any attempt to modify your bowl would be classified as "New Work" which means you would be required to install a 1.6gpf watercloset.

o
RE: Can we retrofit a high tank onto a flushometer toilet?

thanks, Lazypup. I was hoping that 1.6 would be enough to flush it; there are high tanks that are 1.6 gallons. Rats!

So it's the design of the bowl itself that requires us to have that much water?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here