Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lostproc

another water pressure question

lostproc
11 years ago

Hello all...

I recently moved and have discovered that the water pressure/flow in the showers is less than satisfactory. I have 40 psi static pressure coming into the house via a 5/8" copper line. Static pressure at the showers are 29 psi. House is a 28 yr old two story colonial. According to Aqua PA the pressure at the water main nearest me is also 40 psi. I have the same shower heads connected as my old house which had a 65 psi static pressure via 3/4" PVC inlet. There is no pressure reducing valve, and I have 40 psi at both hose bibs. The women of the house are complaining with the poor pressure in the showers it's much more difficult to get the shampoo out of their hair. No problems at the old house with the higher pressure. My question is would investing a booster pump/ tank combo help this situation? Looking around the internet, this does not look like a cheap investment, so feedback/guidance would be helpful.

-lostproc

Comments (5)

• randy427
    11 years ago

Some showerheads work better than others with low pressure. Do any neighbors with the same 40psi have suggestions?

• lazypup
    11 years ago

Although its not impossible, I doubt seriously if you really have a 5/8" diameter copper water supply. Code minimum for any water supply is 3/4", however you may have a 3/4" copper water line with a 5/8" water meter, which is very common in residential structures.

As the water flows through a water meter it turns a small paddle wheel which is mechanically coupled to drive the measuring instrument. For many low volume applications the code mandates that we install a meter that is slightly undersized. It does not effect the volume of flow, but as the volume of water passes through the reduced diameter it increases the velocity of flow through the meter, which in turn increases the velocity of the paddle wheel and it results in a more accurate reading. There is a minor pressure drop through the meter but it is so minor as to not be a problem. By example, a 5/8" meter on a 3/4" line will typically introduce a worst case 0.25psi loss at full volume of flow.

I am curios as to how you connected a meter to measure the pressure at the shower head?

Now for the immediate problem, how to select a shower head that will deliver more pressure? Actually what you are looking for is a shower head that will deliver more "Force", but that is another discussion entirely.

Look for a shower head that has smaller diameter holes for the water to discharge, and the lower number of holes the more force you will perceive in the flow.

I use a solid brass shower head that is only 1" in diameter and has about 18 holes slightly larger than a common sewing needle in diameter. It is not impressive to look at, but when you stand under this shower head it hits you like a power washer, even with low pressure. And the best part, these shower heads only cost $5 and will last a lifetime.

We installed 200 of these shower heads in a motel rehab about 15 years ago and the guests were so impressed with the showers that they continually asked the desk manager where to get the shower heads. The motel manager, being an enterprising type of guy bought a dozen extras and they started selling them in the hotel gift shop for $15. The went over so great that they now sell them in the gift shop for $25, even though the real retail market price is still $5 in a hardware store.

• kisu
    11 years ago

lazypup,

would you mind sharing the name of this shower head or where I could buy this? is it at HD or Lowes?

thanks

• homebound
    11 years ago

First thing is to remove and check your shower heads. See if there's crud stuck in the screen where it connects. (Or if there's mineral crud, dip in CLR). While you're at it, look for a flow restrictor and ponder removing it with a pair of needle-nose pliers.

• kisu
    11 years ago

nevermind lazypup- I found it. both Whedon and Alsons brand have a version of this but it's $5-$15 depending on the store you get it in.